280ai vs 284 Winchester

I just had a 280Ai taken apart to rebarrel in 284 built for the 175 EOL berger( should do well for 162 eldx too). Its seated out a good bit so im optomistic it will at least do as well as expected.

I built a 284W in a predator short action with a longer mag setup and Hawkins hunter DBM. Peterson brass is really nice so far. I'm quite happy with it shooting 160 Accubonds. Wish I could find more 160 AB now😕. Downed three mule deer and two white tail this year after being build the week before season.

A 26 in barreled 284 will be neck and neck with a 24 in barrel 280AI. Both great choices. Get the 284 throated right and it will be a great hunting round. Watched a bull elk get killed at 550 yds with a 284 shooting 162 EDLX AT NEAR 3k FPS. Dropped in his tracks.

I like the 280AI a little better since it's more main stream now a days than the 284.

I'm building a super lightweight mountain hunting rifle and because of the ammo shortage I'm starting to question my caliber choice. I was firmly set on the 280ai but I can't find a piece of 280ai brass anywhere. I don't have dies and they are providing hard to find too. I am starting to lean towards the old 284 Winchester. Good quality Brass seems to be available from Norma, Peterson and lapua and for some reason it's in stock. The dies are in stock too. Here's the question. I've never shot a 284, I've had a 6.5-284 but never a 284. I don't know what kind of performance I can expect. The rifle will be built on a long action either way so I will have extra room for the 284 to breathe. What kind of performance difference should I expect between the two out of a 22" barrel with 160 class bullets?
Makes ZERO sense to want a Rifle or cartridge that you cannot find brass or full loads for. especially in these times you want a gun that you can find ammo for anywhere. 30-06, 308, 38spl, 357,45, 22, 7mm,8mm, ETC. in these crazzzzy times you want what is ready available.

I have a Winchester 88 in 284 with a 22" barrel. The magazine restriction has me limited on bullet choice, but the barnes 140gr TSX fits perfectly and hit 2950fps without trying hard. 160gr bullets are a no go in the mag so I dont have any data.

That said I also have a 280 Rem with a 22" barrel that I shoot 160gr bonded soft points at 2795fps and kill all sorts of stuff.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the 284 or the 280AI.

I'm building a super lightweight mountain hunting rifle and because of the ammo shortage I'm starting to question my caliber choice. I was firmly set on the 280ai but I can't find a piece of 280ai brass anywhere. I don't have dies and they are providing hard to find too. I am starting to lean towards the old 284 Winchester. Good quality Brass seems to be available from Norma, Peterson and lapua and for some reason it's in stock. The dies are in stock too. Here's the question. I've never shot a 284, I've had a 6.5-284 but never a 284. I don't know what kind of performance I can expect. The rifle will be built on a long action either way so I will have extra room for the 284 to breathe. What kind of performance difference should I expect between the two out of a 22" barrel with 160 class bullets?
I built both a couple of years ago. 280 AI was a Match chamber in Criterion heavy sporter 26" and McGowen was a 284 Match chamber in a 26" McGowen Varmint weight barrel. I got 3/8" groups in limited testing with the 280 AI and velocity on the 180 Bergers in the 26 - early 2800s. I got 2945 avg with the 284 with best groups at 1/2". 100yd test range both with 1:8 twists.

I couldn't believe the speed I got from the 284. Perhaps they cut the throat a bit longer in it, but both had long throats and I had the Bergers just touching the lands on both, so both are great.

Peterson makes some good brass for the 284 and you can still find Hornady and Winchester, also.

Nosler makes AI brass, as well as Hornady, but don't know if any others male it or not. They might.

I don't think you could go wrong with either, but I'm building another 284 with carbon wrapped barrel I was so impressed by the ballistics last time.

Some years back I picked up a lovely old tang safety Ruger 77 in 243. The rifle shot terribly despite all my efforts. I then installed a 24" Douglas Air Gauge barrel in 284 Win. I opened up the magazine to accept rounds loaded to 2.93 with a few thousands to spare for reliable feeding. At the time, 284 brass was difficult to find, so I bought 100 rds. of Norma 6.5x284 brass and ran them through my 284 die. With the lightweight 120 gr. Barnes TTSX I can comfortably achieve 3,200+ fps using H-4350. Using Reloader 17, I can push a 160 gr. Nosler Partition to 2,850+. Accuracy is excellent with both loads. After installing a lightweight synthetic stock, and putting a 3.5x10x40 Leupold VX-3I on it, loaded, with sling, the rifle weighs 8.25 lbs. I think the old 284 is a very underrated round that deserves to be more popular.

I have many years experience with the 280, 284, 7mm Rem Mag and just broke in a new Savage 110 in 280 AI. If I had to pick between the 280 AI and the 284 my choice would be the 280 AI. Its future is bright and many rifle builders are in the market and you can get brass and factory ammo if you are patient and look around. Fed Terminal Ascent 155 gr may be the factory load to look for or Nosler in an Accubond. My 284 is all handloads, Norma brass and varying bullets but my go to bullet is a Barnes 140 TTSX at 2850 for most hunting applications. Performance between the 2 is similar, about 1 inch groups are average if I do my part giving the edge to the 280 AI but anything you are hunting won't know the difference.

A bunch of great info here. I have a 284 f class rifle and absolutely love it going to be my next build after I finish my current rifle project. So my vote would be 284. I think in your long action it will shine. I would also look at Badland Precision's Bulldozer 2 as a possible bullet choice, their high BC lower bullet weight might be just the ticket with the shorter barrel. I wouldn't go any slower than 1:8 twist and would really take a look at 1:7. Good luck with your build and let us know how it does.

Rep

I have two factory 284 win rifles, A-Bolt, & a flat-bolt Ruger from 1970. The 284 Win is about my favorite cartridge, hunting deer & black bear. I may use one for elk next time.

One issue can be heavier(longer) bullets in factory actions & magazines. The bullet can dip into the case a good amount, reducing space. I never had problems finding components for reloading.

I have a 284,28 Nosler and 280 Remington. A 284AI is on the way. They all shoot well and accurate. The 280 Remington is easy to reload and a lot of brass available if you fire form. I don't think you can go wrong with any 7mm cartridge

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.