280ai vs 28 nosler cant decide

I'd go with a pedestrian .280 Rem. Components are easy to find. In all candor, I can't imagine the .280 Rem not doing what a 7MM Rem Mag can do, and the 7MM Rem Mag has logged an impressive legacy.

No I am starting to consider it I'm in no rush to get this new gun so I'm considering all options in the .284 caliber I want a do all kinda gun but the Cooper I'm looking at the 92 backcountry won't come in 28 nosler so now I'm thinking maybe a 7stw
Be careful, shooting the STW is highly addictive! gun)

I have a 280 AI and have taken several mule deer here in Utah out to 450 yds and have not noticed any difference in the terminal performance from my 7mm Rem shooting the same bullet. Less than a hundred feet per second difference.

That Back Country looks like a nice rifle. I think the answer to your question is how often you hunt big bears and bison? Cooper says they make it in most long action and magnum cartridges.

Why not the old 300 WM? Or a wsm or saum?

Unless there's a real need for the 100-200 fps I always stick to the old time tested standards..the 280 doesn't get the respect it truly deserves, if you could only have one this wouldn't be a bad choice, out a good bullet like a partition in it and take on about anything...next the 7mm mag, it's always a great choice for just a little more.

The factory 280 can almost push the limited of the 7mm Mag, the 280 AI can match it.

Custom 280AI with 26barrel 1:9 twist will stabilize the longer 175 and 180gr's too long range, there are lots of quality bullets too choose from for the reloaders.

The 165/168 gr's are able to put 2100 + ft-lbs out too 300 yards,,, 2200 ft-lbs with the AI case.

All this is in the Terminal Ballistics Web Forum that I posted a while back.

So with that said, one might be interested in viewing what suitable ft-lbs bear and Buffalo require for clean take down.

Much of this has changed with the interduction of new style bullets on today's market.

Just ideas

Don

What kind of velocity would you expect from the above mentioned combo with a good 175 grain?

I am working on load development for my new .280AI as we speak. Right now, I am pushing a 168 Berger HVLD @ 2940 for my preferred charge weight. I just loaded up seating depth test loads, so we will see how that shakes out. Not sure it could get much better than where they are now though. R700 trued w. 26" 1:9" Proof Light Sendero.

3 shots @ 100 during charge weight testing

I shot a ladder test @ 400 with the 175 Berger Elite Hunter and had a fantastic sub 1" node in the 2885-2920fps range across 3 powder charge weights. I also had a good node at the very top of my charge weight testing, about 1" for 3 different charge weights in the 2950-2980fps range, but the top 2 had slight signs of pressure. So they are out.

Sheepaholic , not sure where you live in Northern BC but I betting you that you have probably been to Corlanes in Dawson Creek ?
Have you checked out the Christensen Ridgelines ?
I have one in 7rem and it's amazing.
I'm loading the 162eldx and that gun will shoot 5" groups at 1000yards.
Also get really good velocity too.
I would part with it if you are interested. It has a nightforce shv
4-14 on it.
I live just across the border from you in Alberta. Pm me if you are interested.

Sheepaholic , not sure where you live in Northern BC but I betting you that you have probably been to Corlanes in Dawson Creek ?
Have you checked out the Christensen Ridgelines ?
I have one in 7rem and it's amazing.
I'm loading the 162eldx and that gun will shoot 5" groups at 1000yards.
Also get really good velocity too.
I would part with it if you are interested. It has a nightforce shv
4-14 on it.
I live just across the border from you in Alberta. Pm me if you are interested.
If i didnt have most of my parts already id take you up on it.
Im actually thinking of buying a ridgeline 6.5creedmor

I also have a ridgeline in 7-08 and it amazes me as well. My load is with the 150eldx and it is consistent 4" at 700 yards which is the farthest I have shot it. It push's the 150s to 2870fps.
I'm really happy with both my Ridgeline's.

28 Nosler is what I have, I wrestled with either that or the 7mmSTW, I went with the 28 and am happy I did. I would not be afraid of taking any game in North America with the rifle, all it boils down to is a good shot placement, they cannot breathe with lung's full of blood or blown out, either way they cannot go very far without oxygen.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.