280AI range results

Was set up on the correct shooting lane down into the valley this morning. Had 4 cows and two calves walk though a 15 foot opening at 430 yards but the only shots would have been a broadside calf with a cow behind it, or a straight on cow. Passed on both shots.

The old guy that drops into the valley with me every day is a guru. Three out of three mornings he's put me into a position where the only variables were me and the elk. Yesterday and today the old guy made a call that felt low odds to me, and both times he was 100% right and I would have been 100% wrong. I feel like my time is coming if I keep seeing animals the way we have been.

Its odd, sometimes I kinda feel like I have to pay my dues psychologically before I can harvest an animal. I didn't do any of the scouting for this hunt aside from one weekend. They're putting me up and feeding me, taking me out every day. (Just flat out beautiful folks). In the back of my head I think I feel like I kind of have to "earn" an animal, if that makes any sense. I could have pulled the trigger on a calf an hour into opening morning but it seems like that would have felt a little dirty or ungrateful or something.

Now that my calves and ankles are sore from walking uphill, I might finally be getting close to feeling worthy of taking a shot.
:D

The old guy also has an uncanny ability to sense when my flatland *** is getting wore out on a hike up the valley side, and he'll just stop walking, look out over the valley, and tell me another quick story about a hunt he and his brother were on 50 years ago.

No dice. Monster of a cow moose with two calves in tow. Spotted her in some bullrushes and of course she was gone by the time we got there. Walked the perimeter and her and the kids spit out the trees on the other end. Glasses them to the next marsh/stand of trees and let them settle.

Walked a tree row in from the downwind side and set up. Dad and my buddy walked in from upwind and pushed the bushes and marsh to me but they either stuck tight, or we missed them exiting when we were setting up.

First cow moose we've seen though so real encouraging.

My buddies father in law had a close encounter with a black bear when he was pushing a swamp for me, so he got a decent story out of the deal to tell to the next flatlander that gets played out climbing out of the valley

One species down, one to go.

Attachments

• IMG_6731.jpg
    IMG_6731.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 64
The old fella thats been showing me his land was on the ball with his phone when I took my moose. Not long range by any stretch! First shot nicked her heart, second one double lunged her. 140gr TTSX and both passed right through. No surprise at that distance.

First moose so I was pretty nervous. You can tell by the way I kept shuffling my feet once I seen her. My knees felt a little cold all of a sudden.

🤣

She was puffing out the side like a steam engine once I lunged her with the follow up.

Agreed, kind of an unwritten rule to try and only shoot dry does/cows, although I'm sure the calves are old enough and should survive

That's fair. I'm fairly confident her calves will be fine. I have a line that I wouldn't cross when it comes to animals with offspring and these guys cleared it.

Recent Posts