280AI or 7mm Remington Mag?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Timnterra, Aug 10, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Glenn J Voth

Glenn J Voth Well-Known Member

ditto this

FEENIX likes this.
  2. WAHOOYAHOO

WAHOOYAHOO Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Either. I love them both. if it were a raffle, I'd but tickets. Good for you for supporting the Bible Camp!

Glenn J Voth likes this.
  3. Don A Parsons

Don A Parsons Well-Known Member

Koodoos to those involved in the project.

I agree that either option is awesome, I """my self""" like the idea of a rifle that is chambered in a cartridge that is readily accessible across the Americas,,, that way it leaves the door-way open for folks that don't have access to reloading equipment and for those that do...

There is benefits to both of these fine cartridges fore sure...

The good old 7mm Mag has quit a following,,, and the gun store shelves are full of factory ammo of endless...

Fast lazer rocket ship 130's,,, mid-ship 140 grain'ers,,, and the heavy hitting 168/175 class for the shooter to chose from... More or less recoil based on the persons preference...

Of course the 280 AI also fits the category as well,,, only thing is that I'm not sure where a non-reloader would get a selection of different factory loads...

Any-who,,, the options are endless,,, keeping it simple makes it easy for the organizers and hopefully the end user if they decide to keep the rifle or sell it """if""" they take possession of it...

Again,,, hats off to the idea and the benefits,,, that's what really counts...

Cheers from the North

4. Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim Active Member

Thanks for your generosity! If you have to chamber it, 7 RM hands down. Just better factory ammo support. If you can do it afterward, options are endless. Let the winner choose their 7mm cartridge. Again, kudos to you!

5. mpayne

mpayne Well-Known Member

I say go with the 280AI you can get a 7mm anywhere.

6. Timnterra

Timnterra Well-Known Member

I sent an email to the camp president this morning, I'll let you guys know what he says about auction vs. raffle.

Glenn J Voth, xsn10s and WAHOOYAHOO like this.
  7. Rogue Rider

Rogue Rider Well-Known Member

I would go with the 7mm Remington Magnum ... It would be a great Rifle to donate for the fundraiser.

8. nkyshooter

nkyshooter Well-Known Member

Someone may have already mentioned it, but the 280AI can use not only the 280AI factory loads (which are increasing in choices/availability) but also standard 280 Remington ammo. (of course, the brass will be fireformed for 280AI afterwards so they will look much much prettier)

With no belt to worry with on the 280Rem/280AI, many reloaders will prefer to load for it as opposed to the 7mm Mag.

In addition, brass life on the 280AI is almost certain to significantly exceed that of either the 280Rem OR the 7mm Mag and the trade off in velocity from 7mm Mag "down" to 280AI will be pretty minimal ballistically.

I'm a bit of an ackley geek so yes I am a tiny bit biased ... but ... the above statements hold true regardless ... :)

Whoever it was that posted to let the auction winner decide had a brilliant idea though ... I like that approach!

Glenn J Voth likes this.
  9. sailorjim

sailorjim Member

How can I get a ticket?

10. Lefty G-gear

Lefty G-gear Well-Known Member

11. antelopedundee

antelopedundee Well-Known Member

A 7mm mag and a .280 Rem don't have the same bolt face .532 vs .473. Without reading the whole thread it would be easier to stick with the one it is now.

12. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

OP has both as noted in #12.

13. antelopedundee

antelopedundee Well-Known Member

Would have been less confusing to have stated so in the OP.

14. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

The same is true if you took the time to read page 1, you would not need to comment as you did in #109.:cool:

Give the man a break, "we" should all get behind him for his best and kind hearted intentions ... it's for a good cause regardless of chambering ... just saying. :D

Cheers!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 9:49 AM