280AI or 7mm Rem Mag

Ktownmh

I'm looking at either of these 2 calibers. It which ever I choose will be for deer and elk in Colorado. Any input on why I should one or the other is greatly appreciated.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. More factory ammo options for the 7mag so if you don't reload, that could be a factor.

Like was stated, you can't really go wrong with either...They're both Americana classics with long-proven track records. The .280 AI is going to be a bit smoother recoiling, with less muzzle blast, uses less powder, but will be 100+ FPS slower than the 7mmRM. The 7mmRM will be a bit flatter-shooting, and can handle the heavier bullets better (180+) if you ever want to shoot long range or hunt longer ranges.

Both have their pros and cons. Basically it comes down to, do you want flatter trajectory with slightly more recoil, or smoother/lesser recoil impulse with less muzzle velocity.

I love the .280 AI, but my main deer cartridge for the last 16 seasons, has been a 7mm RemMag. I have lots of other options in the stable, but when it comes to deer hunting, I always seem to find myself grabbing the old trusty 7 Mag.

I have both.
Phoenix Custom Rifles built 7RM pushing a 180 Hybrid @ 2996. I use H1000, so speeds are "moderate" but accuracy is phenominal.

I am just finishing up load development on my new AxisWorks built lighterweight .280AI. My final load is right on the edge of being too hot with 1 in 3 showing slight signs of pressure pushing a 175 Elite Hunter as fast as safe and possible. But it is a hunting rifle, so it won't see hundreds of rounds a year with this load. Bullet is 5gr lighter, but speeds are NOT 100fps slower. I am using RL23, so speeds are above average....well above average.

Either one is a legitimate deer cartridge for about as far as you would care to shoot at game (1k+). Elk would be about 900 or so max for my criteria. I just shot a good bull with my 7RM last month @ 662 yards. Bull went 50 yards and piled up. Either rifle/catridge/bullet combo would have done the trick I believe.

7mm Rem Mag will shoot ~100fps higher velocity, as mentioned.
I'd go 7RM if you're planning to hunt/shoot at extended ranges past 600yds.
I own two of each. I don't see the magic in the 280AI that many others see.

I guess that maybe I should have mentioned that I shoot a 7mag. I don't own a 280AI. No plans to either...

Im not sure the type of hunting you like to do but if you cover a lot of miles on a hunt, the 280ai in a lightweight setup is pretty sweet. I'm looking at eventually buying/building one for my backpack hunts. In a heavier long range type setup, I'd go with the 7 mag for sure.

go with a 7mm Rem Mag and don't look back.
You'll always be able to find factory ammo from Cabelas to small town Walmart.
If you want to handload, you'll be able to shoot 175gr bullets @ 2900+fps and 168gr. bullets @ 3000fps (depends on barrel length, twist rate, etc.).

175gr and 168gr bullets seem to be the cat's meow for the 7mm Rem Mag.

I was faced with the same choice a couple of years ago. For me it boiled down to what action I had available at the time. I had a spare long action with a standard bolt face. Instead of modifying the bolt and rails, I decided to go 280AI.

I do love it. Load development was easy, it's extremely accurate and consistent, recoil is very tolerable and is plenty fast enough for the 162-168s I prefer to use. Theoretically, barrel life may be better.

I certainly would not be afraid to put together a 7RM. Belted cases don't bother me like they did in the past and there's plenty of performance potential. That said, if I were going to build one on an action with a magnum bolt face, I would likely do a 7SAUM. Even though belts don't bother me, I'd rather use beltless given a viable alternative. The 7RM may have more potential but to each their own.

Pick one. I can't imagine being disappointed in either.

M

go with a 7mm Rem Mag and don't look back.
You'll always be able to find factory ammo from Cabelas to small town Walmart.
If you want to handload, you'll be able to shoot 175gr bullets @ 2900+fps and 168gr. bullets @ 3000fps (depends on barrel length, twist rate, etc.).

175gr and 168gr bullets seem to be the cat's meow for the 7mm Rem Mag.
With the right powder choice, those speeds are attainable, and can even be exceeded with the .280AI at max charge weights/pressure.

With a 7RM, those speeds are fairly mild loads.

In Quickload, if I optimize best powder for that cartridge at 65 kpsi with the same 162 gr bullet for velocity with (16) different 7mm cartridges, the point of diminishing returns is around the 280AI and 7mmRemMag point.

After that, it is a lot more powder for small velocity increase.

7mm T/CU, 7-30 Waters, 7mm BR, 7mm IHMSA, 7mm-08, 7mm-08 Ackley Improved, 7x57mm, 7x57mm Ackley Improved, 284 Win, 280 Rem, 7mm Rem short action ultra mag, 280 Rem Ackley Improved, 7mmRemMag, 7mm Ultra mag, 7mm Weath Mag, 7mm STW

But personally, even though I have a lot of reamers, I build more rifles in 6.5-06 and 7mmRemMag.