280AI or 7 Sherman?

lejuch

Decided to build a gun in .284....I've told smith that I want it chambered in 280 AI, but thinking that 7 Sherman might be a better choice. Gun will be used for hunting, but mostly shooting targets...what say"ya'all"?

Decided to build a gun in .284....I've told smith that I want it chambered in 280 AI, but thinking that 7 Sherman might be a better choice. Gun will be used for hunting, but mostly shooting targets...what say"ya'all"?
That depends on what you are willing and able to spend and if you are going to load for it.

So along time ago I was thinking about a 338 Lapua or a 300RUM. I bought the 300 RUM but I still always think about would the 338 had been a better option. Several reason now that I wish I would of went with the 338. Not that I don't like the 300 Rum but there have been several reasons I would of just been better off with the 338. So if you never do what your gut wants or what you may think will be the bigger, better deal or what ever drives someone to want something and then they settle for product X you never know and you may end up spending more money on a second rifle. Kind of like picking a wife you want xyz but you settle for xy. Kind of funny as long as my wife doesn't read this. All kidding aside she is xyz.

the Sherman will give you more ponies and possible less stretch in the case after it is farmed. If you want over the counter in a pinch then the 280Aky will be better not that it's a common round that walmart sells but it will still be hard to find. Also in a pinch you may be able to just fire form with the 280Aky loads but I'm not sure. You would have to check with you smith or the inventor of the Sherman's.

Last edited:
So along time ago I was thinking about a 338 Lapua or a 300RUM. I bought the 300 RUM but I still always think about would the 338 had been a better option. Several reason now that I wish I would of went with the 338. Not that I don't like the 300 Rum but there have been several reasons I would of just been better off with the 338. So if you never do what your gut wants or what you may think will be the bigger, better deal or what ever drives someone to want something and then they settle for product X you never know and you may end up spending more money on a second rifle. Kind of like picking a wife you want xyz but you settle for xy. Kind of funny as long as my wife doesn't read this. All kidding aside she is xyz.
Nice recovery, in the event your wife WERE to read your post. LOL

I've never messed with the Sherman but my 280AI has taken a lot of game and never a hiccup. Very accurate with Barnes 120 gr TSX and always full penetration on deer. If it helps, I found RL-22 and H-4831 to be most accurate in my rifle. I would also like to try some RL-26 but haven't done so yet. You also have to look at availability of brass and there is plenty of 280, at least prior to the panic buying.

Your talking approximately 50-100fps different. Sherman you would have to fire form don't think they are making that brass but they have some. 280AI already formed factory brass from several makers.

If you like to tinker and form and get most FPS then Sherman is the way to go, dies are more costly.

280AI can load and go, lots of good dies for under $100. I don't like to mess with fire forming and all so I chose 280AI.

Both are good choices

The 280 is a fine cartridge and decent brass is now being made in both regular and AI versions.
I have a 338 Sherman and love it. I also have the parts for my next build - a 6.5 Sherman Max. Just waiting on my smith to catch up.
Strongly thinking about a 7mm Sherman Max next. Rich has all the brass you'll need - made by ADG with his headstamp on it. Look at the load data on his thread
They are pretty impressive.

For out of state hunting and 99% of what you will kill the 280AI will do it AND factory ammo can be had now in most all big gun stores in "normal times". I have seen hunts ruined with wildcat ammo that got left, lost or misplaced. That is also the advantage of normal AI cartridges. IF you wildcat, ship 1-2 boxes of ammo ahead or pack seperately. What are your real gains vs your potential losses is a key question? I know for sure 150-fps will not make the big difference

I am 68 and 100 % disabled now. My shoulders and neck will not take the big wildcats and I have been all the way to 338/408 and dozens in between to include toying with 50 cal BR rifle. I am shooting now a 6 lb 7-08, for whitetails to 300 and a 9 lb 6.5-06 AI for LR deer that I might be selling. Quit hunting Ohio so my 7 lb single shot 45/70 that hammers is sitting in the safe. Just picked up a 9 lb custom build 7 rem mag with brake (got a great deal and that is why I went with it in lieu of 280 AI) that I plan on using on an elk hunt for disabled vets in 2021. If it tears up my shoulders it will go and an 8 lb 280AI will be procured. I no longer backpack hunt or tromp 20 miles a day. I killed a 250 lb 10 pt whitetail in 2019 at 573 yards with 280 AI. Pretty much have come full circle and for shooting and killing the 280 AI will do it. I still have brass and bullets for 280AI on my shelf.

Last edited:
Dumb question, but what is a 7 Sherman? I have a 280 Sherman, which is the long action 7mm that uses a 270win case as its starting point. I love it. I was in the 280AI/280 Sherman debate a couple of years ago and decided I was ok not having factory stamped brass and I reload anyway so factory ammo wasn't an issue either. You have to break the barrel in anyway, and that was a great way to form some brass.

Speaking of forming, it's not complicated. You take 270win brass (I use RWS), open the neck by running it through a 30 call sizing die just enough to open the neck, then run it through the Sherman sizing die and you're done (minus adding primer/powder/projectile).

That was my first wildcat. After that I got the bug...my next build was a 30-06AI (I like that I can use lapua brass) and I just received all the parts for a 6.5 Sherman Short that I will be taking to my smith to build in the next couple of weeks.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.