280AI load development

staghunter

I recently bought a 110 Ultralight in 280 AI. I have finally acquired some 150gr accubond to try to work up a ladder test. I wanted 168gr ABLR but that's not happening at this time. Wondering if anyone has used these components and a particular powder was a standout. If so where you seen a node or do we see a certain velocity that give better grouping. I'm thinking I'm going to really like this gun. Thanks in advance for any help.

There is a ton of info on here but todays answer is what you can actually purchase.

One's that work are RL-23, RL-26 and 4831...

Good luck with the Ultralight! I love mine in .308.

I use 62grs of 4831sc, Federal 210M, Nosler case, 140 gr accubond... Shoots amazingly well. I can't remember the velocity though off the top of my head.

Here are some of the groups I shot during load development. Pictures are sideways but you get the idea.
280AI1.jpg
280AI2.jpg
280AI3.jpg
280AI4.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks I'm thinking H4831 will be my first endeavor.

I recently bought a 110 Ultralight in 280 AI. I have finally acquired some 150gr accubond to try to work up a ladder test. I wanted 168gr ABLR but that's not happening at this time. Wondering if anyone has used these components and a particular powder was a standout. If so where you seen a node or do we see a certain velocity that give better grouping. I'm thinking I'm going to really like this gun. Thanks in advance for any help.
the 168 ablr is available at 3rd generation

I'm shooting the 143 Hammer Hunters and Re 23.
Re22 will work, but not as temp stable. H4831SC is a good stable powder. Not as fast as RE but reports are solid groups.
ABLR 175 in my 7 mag were beyond disappointing at distance. Many others complain of flyers. Regular accubonds may be fine.

I'm shooting the 143 Hammer Hunters and Re 23.
Re22 will work, but not as temp stable. H4831SC is a good stable powder. Not as fast as RE but reports are solid groups.
ABLR 175 in my 7 mag were beyond disappointing at distance. Many others complain of flyers. Regular accubonds may be fine.
Try H4350 is stable, it's quicker than H4831SC if you can get it.

Last edited:
Big 280ai fan, can't get Hammers to group. Doing best with factory 168 Berger's. Anyone have a favorite recipe that would come near Federals 168 Berger's?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.