280ai load development with new brass or once fired brass from a different gun

Hi Spin. Since the early 80s l have had a couple of 280Ackleys built by Kenny Jarrett. 0n both guns l fire formed my brass using Factory Remington 280 ammo. The beauty of Ackley chambered guns is the ability to use standard FACTORY ammunition AND Ackley loaded ammo. lts just a bit difficult to get brass from the SAME lot using factory ammo as a source.
lt was fun making my handloads shoot as accurately as the factory Remington 280 while fire forming

One good thing about the 250 pieces of brass I purchased, it is all from one lot. The information that I have got so far on this forum has been very helpful. I do have another question. As I read different forums and look up load data on the 280ai, I see a variety of different lengths to trim brass. The more consistent length seems to be 2.515. It would be helpful to know what length others are trimming their brass to

thanks
Scott

One good thing about the 250 pieces of brass I purchased, it is all from one lot. The information that I have got so far on this forum has been very helpful. I do have another question. As I read different forums and look up load data on the 280ai, I see a variety of different lengths to trim brass. The more consistent length seems to be 2.515. It would be helpful to know what length others are trimming their brass to

thanks
Scott
Whoever chambers your 280AI have them provide a print you can see your max trim length from that.

For most of my hunting I use Barnes Bullets. This build I am planning on using Barnes LRX 145 grain or the TTSX 150 grain. I think the saami spec reamer should work

I tried the.375 and it looks right but there isn't much shoulder to for it to hit.
The AI in any caliber are pretty tricky because of the shoulder angle with the comparators. Maybe try a 350 or 400 and see if fits the shoulder better. Also something to try -Wilson makes specific comparators for caliber specific. Their tools, comparators and case trimmers are awesome. So is whidden gun works

Last edited:
If you plan on just shooting 140's a saami reamer probably be fine, if you wanna shoot 168- 180 class bullets you should have some freebore.

For most of my hunting I use Barnes Bullets. This build I am planning on using Barnes LRX 145 grain or the TTSX 150 grain. I think the saami spec reamer should work

You need to listen to LSherm. Barnes coppers are long bullets. The SAAMI spec reamer has almost zero freebore. Ask me how I know. I have a gorgeous 280 AI with a SAAMI chamber. It wastes about 3/8" of my 700 long action magazine. I cannot load any long bullet without putting tonnes of the bullet down in the case, not because of the magazine, but because of where the rifling starts. I am now playing with 140gr Sierra GK's in the hope that they shoot well and are fast. But long range is then out the window. If they do not shoot well, I am going to try and get the original smith to ream the throat so I can use the longer bullets and the full expanse of my magazine.....

You need to listen to LSherm. Barnes coppers are long bullets. The SAAMI spec reamer has almost zero freebore. Ask me how I know. I have a gorgeous 280 AI with a SAAMI chamber. It wastes about 3/8" of my 700 long action magazine. I cannot load any long bullet without putting tonnes of the bullet down in the case, not because of the magazine, but because of where the rifling starts. I am now playing with 140gr Sierra GK's in the hope that they shoot well and are fast. But long range is then out the window. If they do not shoot well, I am going to try and get the original smith to ream the throat so I can use the longer bullets and the full expanse of my magazine.....
I am planning on loading a a dummy bullet ( Barnes LRX 145 gr ) just short of my mag length and let my smith chamber accordingly.

If you anneal that once fired brass then it will form to your chamber just well as as new brass, but as it is your once fired brass will be inconsistent to your chamber.Should still shoot well though.

If you anneal that once fired brass then it will form to your chamber just well as as new brass, but as it is your once fired brass will be inconsistent to your chamber.Should still shoot well though.
Not if the web off the brass is expanded to much on the once fired.
Try the once fired when you get the rifle though you never know untill you try.