280ai killing the 7mm rem mag

This is with the 162 eldx, I have done a few tests with them so far. Not really seeing what I want in accuracy.
What barrel brand are you running? How many grooves? Bore rider reamer? Any idea how much freebore you have?

Last edited:
i believe that nosler makes their model 48 in the 280 AI and i am sure it is a great rifle. I do know without a doubt that nosler patrican bullets are killers and I understand the AB are alslo great. I like them -shoot themin all calibers with success.. the remington cor lock is also a real good hunting bullet. Now if you like the 280AI better than a 7 mag. then you will have sucess with it. and I would aslo use the 280 AI because I like the cal. I also know that the 7mm in all calibers are best with the 160 gr bullet. although remington designed the 7 Mag for a 175- it is better with a 160.. about 3050 is tops for the 7mm mag and 3000 with the same in the 280 AI. I found that the 280 AI loaded with the same powder charge as the 270 with a 130 and using the 160 in the 280 AI and about the same velocity and yes it is very close to the 7mm mag. but the real truth is I can do the same with less velocity in the regular 280 remington. also a 165 in a 30/06 .

I'll take the bc over velocity. Velocity does nothing for you if you miss because of wind. Give me those long high bc bullets any day.
Shep

My buddy shoots 147eldm in a Creed with rl26 and can get 3050. Brass goes away pretty quick and I'm sure it's too much pressure but yes you can do it. I was shooting my Creed at 2975 with 147s and rl26 but the h4350 at 2850 shoots so much better at 1000 yards for me. These are all 29 inch barrel speeds.
Shep
Jeez that's what I run in my 6.5 saum, I pushed it up to 3220 with 147s and rl26 before I had pressure signs but I settled at 3070 for the accuracy.

Just getting ready to play with my new saum I built. Gonna start with the 147s I really have had great luck with them. Rl26 is a neat powder in the 243 size cases. I ran my 6slr which is basically a 243 up to 3400fps with 108s. The accuracy node was at 3350 but rl23 at 3175 shot better. These are all from my 1000 yard bench guns. My new 6.5 saum I built is a hunting rifle with a proof carbon sendero barrel. McMillan m-40 stock on a gunwerks action. Can't wait to start shooting it. Got the new adg brass for it too.
Shep

I like to buy a prefit and mess with the cartridge before I buy a high end rifle chambered in the cartridge. I know most 280ai will not run this fast. I plan on just burning this barrel up with as much testing as I can. I am going to shoot some VVn565 through it tonight with some 175 Bergers.

Just finished with some loads on VVN565, I loaded 62.6 grains with the Berger 175 EH. It's slower that re26 by about 60fps. This load got my to 2930 FPS with no fliers and tight groups. Powder seemed more efficient and less felt recoil. I don't have a brake on my rifle.

Just finished with some loads on VVN565, I loaded 62.6 grains with the Berger 175 EH. It's slower that re26 by about 60fps. This load got my to 2930 FPS with no fliers and tight groups. Powder seemed more efficient and less felt recoil. I don't have a brake on my rifle.
Sounds like you've got a winner. That load will take care of just about anything. You've got it all now: plenty of speed with a high bc bullet, gentle recoil & good accurracy. I love it when I have a load that comes
together like that. That's why I like 7mm/280 cal.

Last edited:
Just curious, what's your COAL?

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but if shooting at speeds way over the book won't that burn a barrel twice as fast.
Can't many rounds available out of the barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.