280ai killing the 7mm rem mag

So spent a lot of time at the range today. Between reloading trips and back and forth to shooting almost 6 hours. It was a good day. I have been developing a load for my 280ai with the174 EH. Pushing them to about 3020. Couldn't get them to group for nothing. Loaded up some 180s now this is where it gets interesting. My 280ai is pushing the Berger 180Hvld at 3010 FPS with 60.7 grains of reloder 26. In little tiny groups. I don't know if it's the fastest 280ai but wow.
That is crazy for a 280ai. Do a screen shot of your chrono numbers next time. I'm curious about all the relevant info.

the problem with most shooters they do not understand the 6.5 remington mag.. because remington did not build but a few rifles with a tube long enough to get its real performance..
Now you can build a 6,5 on a 300 weatherby case it will shoot but it is not practical. same on the 404 jeffery cases not practible and the new but great ruger 375 cases but not practical. there is a thing called deminishing returns. and the 300 winchester, 7mm remington mag and the 6.5 remington magnum also the 270 winchester. and the 338 winchester. they all are the max for reasonable round. and the 6.5 remington magnum grain for grain of powder give y bang for the buck.. I do not own a 6.5 rem mag but my 6.5/06 is great but the 6.5 rem mag is better..

6.5 rem mag is so great that's why every manufacturer Chambers it. Oh wait. Not. Remington killed it before it began by putting it in 18 inch barrels.

This is with the 162 eldx, I have done a few tests with them so far. Not really seeing what I want in accuracy.

Attachments

• 1764CE5B-FA09-464B-81D6-D1D66AAAC83E.jpeg
    1764CE5B-FA09-464B-81D6-D1D66AAAC83E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 91
25 WSM you are exactly right remington did their 56mm magnum rifles in both the 6.5 and the 35.
I think they forgot that winchester had the 264 but with a 26 " tube and the 35.s were not popular at the time . however I have many friends in alaska at the time who flew airplanes and they loved the 35 rem mag in the copit with them. also the remington droped the 280 in their ad. and bdl for a time again their fault.. due to the 742 and 760 auto loaded below 48000 cups. in a bolt action ther is no way in hell a 270 win should outshoot a 280 remington , because the case hold more powder.

the problem with most shooters they do not understand the 6.5 remington mag.. because remington did not build but a few rifles with a tube long enough to get its real performance..
Now you can build a 6,5 on a 300 weatherby case it will shoot but it is not practical. same on the 404 jeffery cases not practible and the new but great ruger 375 cases but not practical. there is a thing called deminishing returns. and the 300 winchester, 7mm remington mag and the 6.5 remington magnum also the 270 winchester. and the 338 winchester. they all are the max for reasonable round. and the 6.5 remington magnum grain for grain of powder give y bang for the buck.. I do not own a 6.5 rem mag but my 6.5/06 is great but the 6.5 rem mag is better..
6.5 rem mag has always intrigued me. I would love to build one on a 26"bbl. Brass is scarce. A 26" barrel is no longer optimum length once you go much more over the case capacity of a 300 win mag. I do believe the law of diminishing returns does hold true for ultra sized cases if their not barreled 28" or longer. I know people do have success with these in 26" tubes but 2-4 more inches goes a long way for these. On the same token not many folks want to commit to 28" & longer for a hunting rifle.

Very true! Own a Creedmoor and want PRC performance? Get RL26... I have a Creed that will shoot the 120 Etip and 143 ELDX at darn near the same velocities as it will in PRC!
I decided to quit posting my rl26 & 6.5cm speeds because of all the uniformed folks in disbelief. I can absolutely duplicate 6.5 prc factory ammo speeds.

Why build a 6.5 rem mag when you can do a 6.5saum or a 6.5 prc and be better and have brass.
Shep
I've got a 6.5 prc in the works. 26". 6.5 rem mag would be nice just for nostalgia but I don't want to get into sorting 100 pieces of brass to end up with 30-40 good/consistent pieces.

My buddy shoots 147eldm in a Creed with rl26 and can get 3050. Brass goes away pretty quick and I'm sure it's too much pressure but yes you can do it. I was shooting my Creed at 2975 with 147s and rl26 but the h4350 at 2850 shoots so much better at 1000 yards for me. These are all 29 inch barrel speeds.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.