280ai killing the 7mm rem mag

Much like there was a time when we desired LRF's, chronographs and finally got them I feel the same way about pressure testing. Sooner or later we'll be able to do reliable pressure testing and the equipment will become reasonably priced.

And I suspect that just like when people started using good LRF's they found out how many of those 400 yard shots were really 250 yds and with the clocks how many loads that were supposed to be going 3000 were really going 2800 or so.

Point being, when we finally get the pressure testing equipment I bet we'll be suprised at how many of our loads are really stomping on it....:) Until then we only have our selves to please.

I suspect there's a lot of 70K+ loads being used but I could be wrong, have been so before and will be again in the future.

Look for good pressure tested data and loads when we can, and follow the speed. If you/I/we are running some number quite a bit higher than others then there's a reason for it. That or we got a poor speed reading and we know that happens as well.

Just a thunk

I have some quickload data saved on my phone. For the 168 ABLR Rldr 26 63.6 grains is 65k max pressure. 3090 fps from a 27" barrel. So most 26's will probably be 3040ish. That's nothin to sneeze at.

Notwithstanding the "fast barrel" phenom, maybe this is simplistic, but is it not the combustion PRESSURE GENERATED, that accelerates the bullet to speed? More speed with a given bullet, indicates more pressure. IMHO, reloading manuals are not "inspired", but they all caution against pushing this limit for several good reasons... DrBill

I'm not going to knock the 280AI,I think it's a really great round.I guess one of the reasons I don't own one is I have four 7mags and if I got a 280AI I would be trying to push it really hard to try to equal what I can do with the 7mag a little easier.May take me a few more grains of powder,but my brass is cheaper,so I'll call that even.

By contrast, my load workup in a custom 280AI found brass pressure at 59.0 gr of RE23, 3168 FPS and using a 143 Hammer Hunter.
I had a guy run quickload with this and using a 145 Barnes (no Hammer bullet data in QL).
From his note to me about quickload:

"I just checked the numbers with it and you should be in a node around 59.0gr at 61,200psi and a MV of around 3034fps with 104% case fill and 97.33% powder burned."

So, in a general sense, I will be probably find a node about 57.5-58.0 grains averaging 3090 fps with a 143 Hammer and just under 61.2K psi, since I actually hit pressure at Quickloads 59.0 suggestion.
With Nosler brass, my experience is, a sticky bolt is also a primer pocket loss. Guaranteed.

Since loading data generally is hit and miss on this cartridge, Quickload is the one the OP should be looking at for a 65Kpsi max pressure rating for this cartridge.
I'd say you're well over it.

The hodgdon site shows the 175 grain bullet at 60000 psi at 2800 fps. I don't know what bullet it is and it's a 24 inch barrel.
Nosler shows the 175 accubond lr at a max speed of 2816 right in line with hodgdon. I have found Nosler manuals to be the least conservative.
I know you can almost always beat book speed by a little but 200 fps more than book is alot.
Shep

IMO the 280AI isn't killing the 7RM. I have a 7RM built by RBros Rifles, the rifle is chambered for shooting the 180 VLD's and the load data provided based on using Retumbo. Depending on location and temp the rifle shoots the 180's at 2990 to 3010, and has over the last four years. That is the same velocity I was told to expect from RBros. I tried RL26 recently and as you might expect the velocity increase was impressive but the accuracy was off. Decided to be content with the Retumbo and save the RL26 for a 300PRC barrel being spun.

I have had two 280 AI and they are great. but you will never= the 7mm mag. the 280 case is just not strong enough... with normal pressure.. However the difference is about 100 fps and the animal will never ask or know the difference.. I perfer the regular 280 because for normal ranges it too is just as good.. but for long range the 7mm mag is king, even better ther the 7mm STW.

So spent a lot of time at the range today. Between reloading trips and back and forth to shooting almost 6 hours. It was a good day. I have been developing a load for my 280ai with the174 EH. Pushing them to about 3020. Couldn't get them to group for nothing. Loaded up some 180s now this is where it gets interesting. My 280ai is pushing the Berger 180Hvld at 3010 FPS with 60.7 grains of reloder 26. In little tiny groups. I don't know if it's the fastest 280ai but wow.
What barrel brand are you running?

Again the only 6.5 that will out shoot the 6.5 Rem magnum is the 264 winchester. And I shoot the 6.5/06 and it is great, but the 6.5 Rem mag is better. however you need a long action rem 700 mag action so you and set the bullet out so it can perform.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.