280ai killing the 7mm rem mag

Dmagna

So spent a lot of time at the range today. Between reloading trips and back and forth to shooting almost 6 hours. It was a good day. I have been developing a load for my 280ai with the174 EH. Pushing them to about 3020. Couldn't get them to group for nothing. Loaded up some 180s now this is where it gets interesting. My 280ai is pushing the Berger 180Hvld at 3010 FPS with 60.7 grains of reloder 26. In little tiny groups. I don't know if it's the fastest 280ai but wow.

That's awesome! I'm shooting the 168 Nosler LR at that velo with Rldr 26. You definitely have those 180s cookin!! Mine shoots bugholes too but we have 3 280 AI's and they all shoot very accurate with little effort. Just a sweet shooting cartridge. I think the bearing surface on the ABLR is higher than the slippery Berger's. I just prefer the bonded bullets. Looking forward to seeing your post showing a dead elk this fall.

Hmm......you're pushing a bullet as fast as a case that holds 20% more powder.
You have:
A a 33" barrel
B should have obvious psi signs in rifle or brass
C bad chronograph.

If none of this is the case, go buy lottery tickets!
Brass is perfect, it's a 26 inch barrel. Chrono reads good on everything else. This gun also pushes 140 accubond to 3200, a 160 accubond to 3060. The 175s were going 3030. It's a long throat. Loaded 180 length is 3.54.

Some barrels are fast and AI cases mask pressure, but if you are getting 3000 with a 180 in 26 inches, your pressure is way up there. 70K? Wonder what Quick Load would say? How many reloads before the primer pockets won't hold a primer?

Some barrels are fast and AI cases mask pressure, but if you are getting 3000 with a 180 in 26 inches, your pressure is way up there. 70K? Wonder what Quick Load would say? How many reloads before the primer pockets won't hold a primer?
So far I am on 4 or 5, they are doing good. There is no signs of pressure on the case or primer.

So spent a lot of time at the range today. Between reloading trips and back and forth to shooting almost 6 hours. It was a good day. I have been developing a load for my 280ai with the174 EH. Pushing them to about 3020. Couldn't get them to group for nothing. Loaded up some 180s now this is where it gets interesting. My 280ai is pushing the Berger 180Hvld at 3010 FPS with 60.7 grains of reloder 26. In little tiny groups. I don't know if it's the fastest 280ai but wow.
What brass are you using? The Nosler brass I have, plus a SAAMI chamber really limits what I can do, and which bullets to shoot. Throating it is my next option.

I'm shooting a 29 inch barrel with rl26 and 180s and the max I get is 2925. Most of the ones I've built have shot 168 Berger's just over 2900. I've built about 10 in the last 2 years. 26 inch barrels on most. Non have shot the 168 over 3000. Good luck with it.
Shep

I highly doubt the 280ai will ever surpass or kill the 7mm mag. 7mm mag is one of the most popular hunting rounds there are. I personally think the 280ai is the perfect all purpose cartridges ever made. But it will never displace the 7mag.
Shep
I don't know, I was just shooting the 162 eldx at 3150. With 61.6 grains of rl26, I don't know maybe I am way over pressure but not showing any signs on the case.

Well for one thing the AI case design hides pressure pretty good. The straighter case walls grip better and reduce bolt thrust. Reduced bolt thrust helps keep easy bolt lift and keeps primers from flattening as bad and also keeps ejector marks from showing as quick. But trust me when you are getting way over book speeds you are over pressure fast barrel or not. You may get away with it but I won't run mine that hard. If I want more speed I will build a bigger gun.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.