.280ai, easy to shoot

Bullmark

I had this rifle built by Jay Cutright in Southern Illinois. He runs a small shop but is the "go-to guy" for quite a few expert shooters and industry brass.....I have to point out that I am neither. His work is top shelf and he's a great guy on top of it.
Anyway, .280ai, APR action, Bartlein 24", jewell trig, 419 hellfire brake, AG stock, cerakoted in sniper gray, topped off with a S&B Exos.
So far only 35-40 rounds through the tube, and groups got tighter and tighter. Finally settled on 57gr of H4350, behind a Berger 168vld at 2930 fps. The last group was .33" (3 shot , 100 yd). Hope to stretch it out soon. Rifle weighs approx 8.5lbs without glass, and shoots like a .243.....couldn't be happier with a longer range hunting rig.
33138000-20CC-4A78-B2E7-F500A43C753B.jpeg

My son's college grad gift will be very similar. Being bedded now in a Mesa Precision Altitude stock and has a Bart 2b at 24" as well.
Hope his shoots as well with the H4350 as yours and as mine!!

Last edited:
Bullmark,
What is your barrel contour and is that an Alpine?
I'm looking to put a Douglas #4 barreled action in an Alpine and AG salesman thinks it may fit in the Rem Mag channel.

Bullmark,
What is your barrel contour and is that an Alpine?
I'm looking to put a Douglas #4 barreled action in an Alpine and AG salesman thinks it may fit in the Rem Mag channel.
Hey man...it's a Bartlein 3B, which is their Light Bull Sporter. It's a nice size, good and heavy but not so much that it weighs a ton.
The action is an APR (Alamo Precision Rifles). We were struggling to find an action that was available immediately and I found them. They make some super nice builds and their prices are very reasonable. Anyway, they had an action available and we ran with it. I couldn't be more impressed. I've got rifles with Borden's, Defiance AnTi, Tuebor Titanium, and a Mack Bros Titanium.....and the APR runs just as slick as any of them.
Ive never been one to break in a barrel, but I may have changed my mind after this rifle. It has tightened up noticeably as I've gotten to the 40-50 round mark. I'm shooting Berger 168VLD's, with 57g of H4350. I settled on that load about round 30, and was getting .5moa or a little better. Then it seems like every group got slightly better.
i shot 3 groups last week and they were all .25-.35" (100 yds). See the attached image.
The rifle could be a touch lighter for my tastes but it's not bad.....right at 11lbs scoped and loaded. The scope is on the heavy side but I'm not switching. I am having a .300wsm built right now and wanted to go for some weight reduction. So I reluctantly moved away from my usual Optics short list and bought a March b/c of the weight savings. Very good glass but the eye box was terrible for me. After being behind my existing scopes it was a major letdown. I sent it back and bought another Leica. Only 5 oz heavier and a world of difference.
0C89E393-1EA3-46DD-8E70-D9BB4EB8FD1F.jpeg

I had this rifle built by Jay Cutright in Southern Illinois. He runs a small shop but is the "go-to guy" for quite a few expert shooters and industry brass.....I have to point out that I am neither. His work is top shelf and he's a great guy on top of it.
Anyway, .280ai, APR action, Bartlein 24", jewell trig, 419 hellfire brake, AG stock, cerakoted in sniper gray, topped off with a S&B Exos.
So far only 35-40 rounds through the tube, and groups got tighter and tighter. Finally settled on 57gr of H4350, behind a Berger 168vld at 2930 fps. The last group was .33" (3 shot , 100 yd). Hope to stretch it out soon. Rifle weighs approx 8.5lbs without glass, and shoots like a .243.....couldn't be happier with a longer range hunting rig.
View attachment 272102
Nice..Love the design on the barrel.
What power scope is that S&B ?

Really nice!
Is that the AG Alpine stock?
It's an AG....I'll have to look, but I think it's an Alpine...I'm sorry man, I thought u were asking about the action being an Alpine (by Borden) in your first post. I'll check and let u know.
That's a nice graduation gift by the way....lucky young man. Maybe Dad will get a chance to use it every now and then..