280AI build off of a Tikka T3 270win

Sandstrom22

Waiting on a call back from the gunsmith, can't seem to reach him so I'm going to fall back on you guys and ask what you think since I cant wait.

I'm looking at doing a 280AI build on a Left handed T3 270 win. Anyone have any past or current advice on barrel manufacture/contour/twist/lengths that they've had good success in on a t3 build possibly? I doubt it, but worth asking. I'm wanting to shoot something around 150-160gr so that its capable of shooting heavier bodied mule deer, and elk if I want and keep my muzzle velocity around 2900fps. a 1 and 9 twist is what I was leaning toward on a 26" barrel. This will be a mountain gun, So the weight will play a role on the build to a point. I'd like to be able to reach out to 800yds on animals and still keep 1400ftlb of power so that's why I am leaning toward 160s...Lastly Trying to find a Left handed Stock that's not going to break the bank. I don't want wood, would like to stay composite. From my research MPI in Portland is gonna be my best bet. about 600$ for a Mountain style stock left handed. Just looking for some feedback on this before I begin the project. Also was thinking about getting the recoil lug fixed straight onto the action. Anyone had past luck with this on their tikka? or am I looking for trouble. I know ive seen a couple pictures of them and would like to hear from those Fellas

You are leaning in the right direction with build. I have a straight 280 that shoots 150 anything awesome. It is a chrome moly Douglas at 24 inches. I get over 2900 with a 150 ttsx barnes. I have a factory stock on one tikka that I upgraded to steel lug. Most stock manufacturing integrate lug in for t3, I know only a few that have bedded around lug. For about 60 dollars more on budget you can get any mcmillan stock you want, but there is a wait. Call redhawk rifle and see if they have an hs or b and c for lefty, they will know. If you want to see some bad a** tikka builds jump over to campfire, you will get loads of ideas. Just stick with a smith that doesn't try to talk you out of your build on a tikka, there are plenty willing to thread a barrel on for you.

I have mpi stock on a a-bolt. I really like it . it's a righty but good stock either way,it's quite trim too. Total weight 7 5/8# ready to hunt. I also have a 280ai on a pendleton stock also 7 3/4# on it I like both stocks.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.