280ai: Bergara or build?

xrangerx

I’m going to get a 280ai for my next rifle. The Bergara Highlander checks a lot of boxes and is about 8lbs. And is in the $1500 range or so. Would you go that route or build one on a rem 700 action? Looks like the only factory 280ai options other than the Highlander are very lightweight rifles. I’m shooting for around 9lbs with a scope.

As far as I know the 6.5’s are the only Highlanders out so far but they seem to be getting good reviews.

CVCOBRA1

If the rifle is already approaching 8 pounds, the scope and rings will add close to 2 more. There goes your 9 pound goal. That is the problem with all these newer high power big tube scopes....they are heavy. Check them out before you make you final decision on rifles.

bbckfh

I think the Highlander with a VX-6HD (at ~16oz) would hit your goal. Not every scope needs to be 32oz.

I looked on their website - that's a pretty sexy rifle. I don't see the real benefit to building off a m700 with this as a turnkey option.

Plinker147

I’m like the build option depending on what price you can get it built for. Factory gun might shoot, custom will shoot. I’d rather spend 2k on a custom than chance $1500. I don’t know anything about Beragas

hthunter

I have the bergara mountain rifle scoped with vx6 hd 3-18x44. Seekins rail and rings. Weighs 8lbs. The 280ai in bergara mountain rifle would be a little over 8lbs with same setup. Mine shoots .5 moa pretty consistently. Just wish I would have got the 280ai instead of 6.5 CM.

PredatorSlayer

I’m going to get a 280ai for my next rifle. The Bergara Highlander checks a lot of boxes and is about 8lbs. And is in the $1500 range or so. Would you go that route or build one on a rem 700 action? Looks like the only factory 280ai options other than the Highlander are very lightweight rifles. I’m shooting for around 9lbs with a scope.

As far as I know the 6.5’s are the only Highlanders out so far but they seem to be getting good reviews.
I have the approach, but uses the same premier action - smooth as butter. The bergara premier series are off the charts awesome. I heard somewhere that they will rebarrel your rifle for like $500 if you shoot your barrel out.

newmexkid

I went for a REM 700 for my 280AI, (it should be ready in about 3 weeks) because I got to pick what I wanted to be done to it. I know it won't have the value of a custom action but, I don't have rifles built to sell them.

lancetkenyon

Custom would be nice but I wonder if for the same amount the Bergara would be better
So do you want people to talk you OUT of a custom?
I have never heard that before.
If you want exactly what you want, a custom is the way to go. If you don'tmind settling, get a factory rifle.
I have shot a few Bergaras. They are nice for sure for a factory rifle. But, to me, do not compare to a good semi-custom.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.