280AI barrel twist

Warrior27

There is a lot of good info on here about the 280AI and load/bullet data. I didn't find a lot about twist rates and bullets. I'm looking at getting a rifle chambered in this round and would like opinions on barrel twist. I would like to use a little heavier bullets like the 162 ELD X or heavier and possibly the 175's. Would the 1:9 twist be good or should I look at something faster? It will occasionally be used on elk out to 500 yds and mostly on whitetail, 6-700 yds. Thanks in advance for the input.

Hornady's website tells you 9.5:1 for 162 ELD-X, 8.5:1 for the 175.
So you can plug the 175 into ballistic software and see the optimum twist for the atmospheric conditions you will be shooting at.
Example, for the 175 ELD-X:
At 32degF and sea level optimum would be 8.3:1.
At 70degF and 2,600 above sea level, 9.0:1 would be optimum.

I'm sure it helps to consider this stuff.

I've been a 280AI user for a lot of years and been around quite a few more. When my 280AI barrel starts going I'll put either an 8" or an 8-1/2" twist on it.
I see you're listed as being from Missouri so you probably aren't too concerned about having to use lead free bullets but if you ever do want that option you'll wish you had a faster twist.

I have always used 1-9. Having new one built and went with 1-8.7". I did extensive research and discovered that this was the perfect twist rate for me due to the fact that it was the only Bartlein 2b contour barrel available immediately. 1-9" should be fine for most 160-175gr bullets. The 175 Berger Elite Hunter says that it will work with 1-9".

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.