280 Remington and Berger Classic Hunters

57Loader

I built a 280 Rem earlier this year with 24" sporter contour barrel, 9.5" twist rate. I was pretty disappointed in the consistency with 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips between boxes so I wanted to try something different. Found some 168 Grain Classic Hunters in a local classified ad and 4 lbs. of IMR7828 at the local shop. Anyone used 168's with 7828 in a 280 Rem?

I use 7828 SSC in my .25-06 AI and .30-06 AI, and they're all based off the same case, so I might be able to help in a way.

Do you need load data from the Berger manual? If so, just let me know.

As for the .280, I haven't built my .280 AI yet, but if I had, it would be using 168 VLD's and 7828 SSC. So I think you're on the right track.

What I have noticed with 7828 is that pressur signs sneak up FAST. So make sure when ladder testing for max load while watching for pressur signs, make sure you are looking over your brass very and primers very thoroughly. Also, you will want to use fire-formed brass when testing for max pressure.

I use 7828 SSC in my .25-06 AI and .30-06 AI, and they're all based off the same case, so I might be able to help in a way.

Do you need load data from the Berger manual? If so, just let me know.

As for the .280, I haven't built my .280 AI yet, but if I had, it would be using 168 VLD's and 7828 SSC. So I think you're on the right track.

What I have noticed with 7828 is that pressur signs sneak up FAST. So make sure when ladder testing for max load while watching for pressur signs, make sure you are looking over your brass very and primers very thoroughly. Also, you will want to use fire-formed brass when testing for max pressure.

I have the page from the Berger manual for 168 VLD's, is it the same? I didn't think it would be different but if it is I'd like to see it. I usually try to use a few sources for data and that's the only one I had so was hoping someone else had some experience.

I have the new Nosler manual, Lyman manual, and made a spreadsheet from the Hodgdon online data....none have 168's with 7828.

Good info on the pressure signs and using fire formed brass, thanks.

I have the page from the Berger manual for 168 VLD's, is it the same? I didn't think it would be different but if it is I'd like to see it. I usually try to use a few sources for data and that's the only one I had so was hoping someone else had some experience.

I have the new Nosler manual, Lyman manual, and made a spreadsheet from the Hodgdon online data....none have 168's with 7828.

Good info on the pressure signs and using fire formed brass, thanks.
A 168 is a 168 from my experiences. As long as a bullet is the same weight as another I was using, I will try the same powder charge to see how it shoots. Then I will tweak from there.

Are you using Nosler .280 brass? I highly reocmmend it. Nosler makes some great brass. Best 2 brands I've ever used were Lapua and Nosler.

There is a tremendous difference between a 168 hybrid (classic hunter) and a 168VLD. Seated to the same COAL, the distance of jump to the lands will be very different (the hybrid will be closer). So be careful interchanging load data.

As an FYI, I shoot the 168classic hunter bullets in my nephew's 280rem with 60grains of H1000.

Yep, good point trebark...I forgot to mention the 168 CH is a hybrid, not a VLD. I was simply stating that based on bullet weight alone, I have interchanged load data and had good results.

As for that, yes, seating depth will need to be adjusted accordingly, since they have 2 difference style ogives.

57Loader, if you don't have a Hornady Comparator Gauge setup for your calipers, I highly recommend buying one. They're fairly inexpensive, and worth every penny. Because bullets are mass-produced, the meplats (tips) of the bullets are not always perfectly symetrical and uniform in length, so you will get a variance in measuring your OAL because the tips won't be uniform. Which is why it's more accurate to measure from the Ogive of the bullet (the radius where the side of the bullet (bearing surface) meets the ogive, which is where the bullet sides begin to angle into a point.

Hornady Lock-N-Load Bullet Comparator Complete Set 14 Inserts

There is a tremendous difference between a 168 hybrid (classic hunter) and a 168VLD. Seated to the same COAL, the distance of jump to the lands will be very different (the hybrid will be closer). So be careful interchanging load data.

As an FYI, I shoot the 168classic hunter bullets in my nephew's 280rem with 60grains of H1000.

Just curious with 60 grains of h1000 the 168 Berger CH how compressed of a load is that. Were you able to check the speed on that load?

Don't remember how compressed that load was, but it wasn't much. Speed is 2820 out of 24" barrel.

Last year we tried the 168 Berger Classic Hunters out of my .280 Rem. but only had some H4831 and a limited supply of IMR 7828ssc. That was out of a 24" Benchmark 1/9 twist. Velocity was slower with the H4831 and with 7828 we started getting pressure signs at just over 2700 fps. We may have to try some H1000
if I can get my hands on some.

Last year we tried the 168 Berger Classic Hunters out of my .280 Rem. but only had some H4831 and a limited supply of IMR 7828ssc. That was out of a 24" Benchmark 1/9 twist. Velocity was slower with the H4831 and with 7828 we started getting pressure signs at just over 2700 fps. We may have to try some H1000
if I can get my hands on some.

Like you, we originally loaded the 168s with H4831 but the best velocity we could get was 2700ish before we started to get ejector marks. Because we still had some case capacity, we thought, why not try H1000?? So we ran some quickload data to obtain a charge weight range. Of course the rifle performs well at a max load. With a 24" barrel 2800 is about as fast as you're going to get the 168s going. BTW, we tested both the VLD and the Hybrid. Velocities were similar but the consistent accuracy of the Hybrid made it the better choice.

I have never used IMR-7828 with the 168 Bergers, but I have loaded IMR-7828 and 160 grain Accubonds. I looked at the Berger Manual and their max load data for the 168 looked low to me.

I have gotten 2800 + ft/sec with the Accubonds and the accuracy was good. From all the data I have looked at IMR-7828 is a good choice for 160+ grain bullets out of a 280 Rem.. My gun has a 24 inch barrel and I think that 2800 can be accomplished.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.