280 Rem.

Darryl Cassel

Stewart

I seem to be jumping all over this forum and only because I have owned or still own many of the calibers the new members are inquiring about. If I can help in any way, I will try to do so anytime.

The 7mm Bullets have a very good BC especially when going on up to the 168 Gr Sierra MK. The 162 Hornady Match is good if you can find the older ones. Your barrel twist should stabilize them.

I know of fellows who have shot in 1000 yd matches with the 280 and 280 IMP.
I still own two of the 280 caliber rifles along with the 7mm mag and the 7/300 Weatherby and can give a good comparison.

As far as killing deer size game, especially eastern white tail , the energy level is still enough to kill at 1000 yds, believe it or not, as I have seen it done. I would think that if you didn't have all the equipment such as Big eys, good Rangefinders and a good hunting partner to spot for you, don't try that range. The point is, the energy is there. A more relistic range would be in the 500 to 600 yds and with a know distance to the target

Good luck and good shooting
I guess that's all for now.
DC

smile.gif
smile.gif

Hi Guys, I'm new to this board & must say I'm impressed.
I have a custom 280 Rem. based on a fully blueprinted 700 action with a 26" 1 in 9 twist varmint profile SS Shilen barrel, MacMillan stock & Jewell varmint trigger.
As well as Deer hunting I also use the rifle for F class target shooting to 600 yds using 130 gr MKs (low recoil). The rifle shoots sub .500" 5 round groups off a bipod at 100 yds.
What do you guys think would be the best bullet type & weight for this barrel & what would be the max. realistic range for 1: target shooting; 2: varminting (rabbits & crows); 3 Deer hunting.
Is the 280 an inherently accurate calibre or am I barking up the wrong tree?

All the best Stewart
wink.gif

Well nice gun and cal if it shoots under .5 it well do. May not be a super long ranger but out to most hunting ranges it well be just fine. Have fun with it.

Darryl

I am interested in your comments regarding the Amax bullets. Is this directed at all calibres or does it just relate to the 7mm? What exactly is the problem?

I have had good success with the 6.5 Amax so far (on paper, don't know that they would be the best choice for hunting) and a friend seems to be getting good results from the 7mm's.

Fergus

Fergus

I was relating in my post to the old 162 Gr Match bullet that Hornady use to manufacture however, I have friends that have had good success with the first run of A-max bullets.

I would rather shoot a 168 Gr Sierra in any of my 7mms. There are some real good custom bullets up to 180 grs in the 7mm.
I have some that are 186gr but, these are not made any longer from what I understand.

As I have always stated in the past, the Matchkings work so well for me, I don't change to often.
You know the old saying, "If it's not broke, don't fix it."

Later
DC
smile.gif
smile.gif

Darryl

Thanks for clearing that up. I just assume all Hornady match bullets are Amax and you know what happens when you assume!!!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

Fergus

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.