280 rem?

Muley73

First post on this site, so please bare with me if my questions has been asked before.

I have been looking at building a long range hunting rifle. Nothing fancy just something to get into the sport. However this week I was given the opportunity to purchase a custom built 280 rem. This rifle would normally sell for around $ 3000.00 but I can get it for much much cheaper. My questions is what kind of performance can I expect out of 280 rem? Would this gun be something I can harvest deer and elk out to 800 yards with cleanly. I know it is all about practice practice and knowing your gun. I would just like some input on the caliber performance from the experts.

Thanks for your input.

Well in a simple answer yes it will kill deer and elk out to 800 yards. But here are some things to consider. With a 140 grain Berger VLD at 3000fps at the muzzle at 800 yards it will drop 157 inches and still be going about 1650fps. With the 168 Berger VLD going 2700fps at the muzzle it would drop 179 inches and still be going around1675fps at 800 yards. While this is more than capeable of taking big game it normally is not a caliber of choice for that range of shots. A 7mag would be more sutible. However i dont want to talk you out of buying a gun that is a good deal but if your serious about getting into long range you might want to pass on it. Now there are always exceptions someone might get on here and swear up and down that their uncles brothers cousins dad killed a elk at 1200yards with his 280. Im just saying as a whole the caliber is sutible but has a lot to be disired for long range.

I hope i did not offend anybody with the "uncles brothers cousins dad" comment. If i did i apologize

First post on this site, so please bare with me if my questions has been asked before.

I have been looking at building a long range hunting rifle. Nothing fancy just something to get into the sport. However this week I was given the opportunity to purchase a custom built 280 rem. This rifle would normally sell for around $ 3000.00 but I can get it for much much cheaper. My questions is what kind of performance can I expect out of 280 rem? Would this gun be something I can harvest deer and elk out to 800 yards with cleanly. I know it is all about practice practice and knowing your gun. I would just like some input on the caliber performance from the experts.

Thanks for your input.

I would want more for elk at 800 myself with the 280 (but it could do it), but wouldn't hesitate on deer. Are there flatter or faster cartridges? Sure. If the price is right and you are getting your legs under you for this type of shooting I would rather someone start with this class of cartridge than go extreme.

The thing about the 280 is the caliber itself. You can only go up from there. Because of the caliber you could ream to a 280AI which would only improve your reach and give a little more pooh at 800yrds to anchor your animal. You could just shoot your old brass to fire form to the new caliber. You would gain about 100 to 150fps with the chamber cut to an Ackley Improved. Or you could have it cut bigger to a 7RUM or 7Rem Mag. I think it is a great platform to start out with. One guy I know carried it on his farm tractor while mowing fields and harvesting to shoot varmints, and deer. Said it was the best caliber he had ever had.

Tank

For 800 yard deer no problem. For 800 yard elk. Possibly. The problem with 800 yard elk hunting when medium calibers are used is that it takes a certain amount of velocity to expand premium hunting bullets. For Barnes, Nosler accubonds, Berger VLD's, Partitions, etc.....The minimum impact velocity for expansion is 1800 FPS. Getting suitable elk bullets in a 280 fast enough to initiate expansion can be tricky. In elk country where the air is less dense than in other areas, you could get the 160 Nosler accubond to expand IF you can get a good accuate load that reaches a little over 2800 FPS.

For deer, the choice in my mind is simple. The 162 Amax. Super high BC and phenominal terminal performance. It is just a wee bit frail for bigger boned game like elk.

Let us know what you decide.

Welcome to the site!

:)

Muley,

Welcome to the board.
Harvest deer cleanly? Probably yes.
Elk at 800 yards? Not so much. Maybe 500 yard elk with 168 VLD or 160 Nosler AB.
But that's not so bad. The first 500 yards is a lot easier than than the second 500 yards. And the medium powered 7mm's are great for learning your wind calls. You could do a lot worse for your first LR rifle. :D

JM .02

you do not descibe what makes this a 3000$ 280. does it have a 9 twist krieger barrel? a remington , stiller or bat action ? the 280 is a great round.

The 280 can harvest elk at 500 yrds with no problem and thats a good place to start in long range hunting, after 500 yrds you are getting it to a lot of practice needed. if its a good gun for the money and will shoot, buy it. getting with in 500 yrds of an elk is not that hard. Thats my two cents

The 280 can harvest elk at 500 yrds with no problem and thats a good place to start in long range hunting, after 500 yrds you are getting it to a lot of practice needed. if its a good gun for the money and will shoot, buy it. getting with in 500 yrds of an elk is not that hard. Thats my two cents

+1 The 280 rem is my hands down my favorite all around big game cartridge. Very flat shooter, great distance and moderate recoil... everything you want in your first LR rifle. While it is not an 800 yard elk gun, it is a great 500-600 yard elk gun. Beyond that distance you will need a bigger gun and lots and lots of practice.

Muley73, welcome, glad to have you here. Lot of good folks and lots of good info. +1 w/Liltank.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts