280 Rem loads

Hey
I was wondering if anyone had any pet loads for the 280 Rem. I am wanting to get as much velosity as I can and still be accurate. Will I be able to get 3000+ with 140 Accubonds because that is the bullet I am wanting to use
Thanks Ted

I also just got a new .280 recently, and I'm in the same boat. I see that this thread is from a couple of years ago, and I wonder how you made out. The guy I bought the rifle from has one just like it, and he is using H-4350 and the 145-grain Barnes LRX. ( Both are Dakota Model 10's, with 24" barrels.) He's getting 3050 fps muzzle velocity, and excellent accuracy. Since I have three 8-pounders of that powder, I'm starting with that. I also have plenty of H-4831, so that will be my next try if the 4350 doesn't work out to my satisfaction. Between the two powders, I think I'll find a suitable load for the 140-grain GMX I'm working with.

I've shot a bunch of animals with the 165-grain GMX in my 30-06 at about the same velocity we're talking about ( the Superformance factory load shoots well in my rifle ) and I like this bullet. If I don't get the velocity and/or accuracy I'm looking for with this one, the Barnes bullet will be the next one to try. I have no issues with conventional bullets, and I'm a BIG fan of the Nosler Partition. I have come to prefer the all-copper bullets these last several years, since they don't make such a mess near the entrance wound. ( I'm a PETA kind of guy - People Eating Tasty Animals.) I used to hear a lot about guys who want an exit wound to give them a blood trail, but copper bullets don't make big exit wounds where that little rivet comes out. I haven't needed any blood trails, since they mostly just fall down right where they are where I shoot them. I think that the slightly lighter 7mm bullet will probably work about the same on deer & elk as the 165-grain 30-caliber bullets I have been working. I'll let you know if I find out otherwise.

Keep us all posted on how it goes with your loading & shooting, Sir. Thanks.

Nick

My go to load for my .280 X Bolts is Nosler Brass, WLR primers, 59.2 grs of H4831SC and 140 gr Accubonds. Seated .015 off the lands. Sub 1/2" loads in both .280s. Runs 3040 fps. Both rifles have 26" barrels.

My go to load for my .280 X Bolts is Nosler Brass, WLR primers, 59.2 grs of H4831SC and 140 gr Accubonds. Seated .015 off the lands. Sub 1/2" loads in both .280s. Runs 3040 fps. Both rifles have 26" barrels.

Thanks - I've been perusing a number of manuals, and most of the loads for H4831 max out at about the charge weight you mentioned. I should get a bit less velocity than you do in my 24" barrel, but anything in the 3000 fps neighborhood would be plenty. I'm also thinking that with the slower powder and heavier charge would have a greater load density, which is said to provide the potential for better accuracy. Does that 59+ grain load fill the cartridge case completely ???

Probably at 90+% fill. A very gentle recoiling load out of my guns and not even close to any sign of pressure. Of course we already know book .280 loads are pretty mild due to the cartridges history.
Another plus is that the NBT 140 grainers group almost identical, and in the same place at 100 yds if were ever to use them in the .280s. I have not used the NBT on game out of .280s, but they do shoot well. I have had some pretty impressive results with the NBT 120s out of my 7mm08s, with several one shot kills over 500 yds.
For the time being, I am sold on the Accubonds with their accuracy and perfomance in the .280.

Last edited:
I have had a Remington 700 Mountain rile in 280 since 1985.It's my out west rifle.It has taken many Pronghorn and Mule deer.The best load in it is 57 grs of IMR 4350 with a 145 gr Speer Boat tail.It shoots a half inch group at 100 yards all day

I also just got a new .280 recently, and I'm in the same boat. I see that this thread is from a couple of years ago, and I wonder how you made out. The guy I bought the rifle from has one just like it, and he is using H-4350 and the 145-grain Barnes LRX. ( Both are Dakota Model 10's, with 24" barrels.) He's getting 3050 fps muzzle velocity, and excellent accuracy. Since I have three 8-pounders of that powder, I'm starting with that. I also have plenty of H-4831, so that will be my next try if the 4350 doesn't work out to my satisfaction. Between the two powders, I think I'll find a suitable load for the 140-grain GMX I'm working with.

I've shot a bunch of animals with the 165-grain GMX in my 30-06 at about the same velocity we're talking about ( the Superformance factory load shoots well in my rifle ) and I like this bullet. If I don't get the velocity and/or accuracy I'm looking for with this one, the Barnes bullet will be the next one to try. I have no issues with conventional bullets, and I'm a BIG fan of the Nosler Partition. I have come to prefer the all-copper bullets these last several years, since they don't make such a mess near the entrance wound. ( I'm a PETA kind of guy - People Eating Tasty Animals.) I used to hear a lot about guys who want an exit wound to give them a blood trail, but copper bullets don't make big exit wounds where that little rivet comes out. I haven't needed any blood trails, since they mostly just fall down right where they are where I shoot them. I think that the slightly lighter 7mm bullet will probably work about the same on deer & elk as the 165-grain 30-caliber bullets I have been working. I'll let you know if I find out otherwise.

Keep us all posted on how it goes with your loading & shooting, Sir. Thanks.

Nick
I think those are two very good powders for the 280. Haven't used 4350 and at one time I thought I would try it but I have a couple of the others on hand. My problem is I haven't gotten out to shoot in a long time or went to the bench to load any in a long time. I need to buckle down and get busy.

I think those are two very good powders for the 280. Haven't used 4350 and at one time I thought I would try it but I have a couple of the others on hand. My problem is I haven't gotten out to shoot in a long time or went to the bench to load any in a long time. I need to buckle down and get busy.

I'm just getting back into reloading, too - after about a twenty year hiatus. A lot has changed. I've been using factory loads for all these years, due to time constraints. I recently retired, so reloading is the first of my old hobbies that I'm cranking up. This forum has been extremely helpful in getting dialed in. Thanks, Guys.

I'm just getting back into reloading, too - after about a twenty year hiatus. A lot has changed. I've been using factory loads for all these years, due to time constraints. I recently retired, so reloading is the first of my old hobbies that I'm cranking up. This forum has been extremely helpful in getting dialed in. Thanks, Guys.
The powders have definitely changed and I have not been loading for very long but in my short time they have come a long way. Bullets too. We have gone from this basic average weight for caliber to long and heavy (high BC's) for caliber to reach out there farther more efficiently. Has been harder to find brass too. You should be fine getting back into it. Good luck.

I've had miraculous results with RL26 in several rifles including my 280 Rem with 62.5 grains @ .020" off the lands with 143 Hammer Hunter bullets for avg velocity of 3111 fps with .5" groups.....highest velocity in this rifle with acceptable accuracy with other powders has been around 2900 fps with 140-145 grain bullets.

The powders have definitely changed and I have not been loading for very long but in my short time they have come a long way. Bullets too. We have gone from this basic average weight for caliber to long and heavy (high BC's) for caliber to reach out there farther more efficiently. Has been harder to find brass too. You should be fine getting back into it. Good luck.

Thanks - I'll let you know how it goes.

I've had miraculous results with RL26 in several rifles including my 280 Rem with 62.5 grains @ .020" off the lands with 143 Hammer Hunter bullets for avg velocity of 3111 fps with .5" groups.....highest velocity in this rifle with acceptable accuracy with other powders has been around 2900 fps with 140-145 grain bullets.

A lot of guys really like the Hammer bullets. I've been reading on this forum that a lot of guys have found RL-26 to be somewhat temperature sensitive above about 85 degrees, but have definitely gotten high velocities & good accuracy. What is your barrel length, and have you had any issues with temperature sensitivity with this powder ?

A lot of guys really like the Hammer bullets. I've been reading on this forum that a lot of guys have found RL-26 to be somewhat temperature sensitive above about 85 degrees, but have definitely gotten high velocities & good accuracy. What is your barrel length, and have you had any issues with temperature sensitivity with this powder ?
That's a question I have too is about sensitivity of rl-26. Is it really worthy using it under 40deg?

That's a question I have too is about sensitivity of rl-26. Is it really worthy using it under 40deg?

Everything I've read was about it getting weird at high temperatures, but I don't recall anybody commenting on low temperature issues. If you search this forum about that powder, you, may find something about low temperature issues. Everything I read I saw right here - I just don't remember comments about cold weather. I was mainly concerned with hot weather/high pressure issues.