.280 or 6.5x284 for elk

Just for general info I have been using a 6.5x308 wildcat ( now known as the 260 Rem ) since 1994 using the Barnes 120gr mono @ 3004 fps. This rifle has taken several elk & has never failed me. Also the 6.5x06, 6.5x55 & 264 mag. at higher velocities. Using the Barnes mono they have all taken elk cleanly for me. The mono bullets penetrate well & have never let me down. . If you properly place them they will perform. I have used larger cal's with heavier bullets which have also preformed but prefer the lighter recoil of the 6.5's. This past season I took my elk with a Hammer 6.5 121gr mono because that particular rifle would not shoot the Barnes accurately. Took the elk at about 80 yds with a complete penetration thru the front shoulders. Blood shot meat , almost nothing. A plus when using the copper mono's. As always a proper bullet for the intended game properly placed.

Just for general info I have been using a 6.5x308 wildcat ( now known as the 260 Rem ) since 1994 using the Barnes 120gr mono @ 3004 fps. This rifle has taken several elk & has never failed me. Also the 6.5x06, 6.5x55 & 264 mag. at higher velocities. Using the Barnes mono they have all taken elk cleanly for me. The mono bullets penetrate well & have never let me down. . If you properly place them they will perform. I have used larger cal's with heavier bullets which have also preformed but prefer the lighter recoil of the 6.5's. This past season I took my elk with a Hammer 6.5 121gr mono because that particular rifle would not shoot the Barnes accurately. Took the elk at about 80 yds with a complete penetration thru the front shoulders. Blood shot meat , almost nothing. A plus when using the copper mono's. As always a proper bullet for the intended game properly placed.

I got some of the 143-grain Hammers for my 280, but haven't yet been able to do anything with them. I plan to use them on mule deer in the fall, and your story is typical of what lots of other guys have written on this forum. I like the idea of minimizing blood-shot meat, as well as the complete penetration. I talked with a guy named Steve at Hammer Bullets, and he gave me some pointers on how to load them. He also said to expect 3000 to 3100 fps with this bullet in the 280 Remington. I'll be using H-4350 for starters, and he recommended a magnum primer. I'll post as soon as I know something.

I got some of the 143-grain Hammers for my 280, but haven't yet been able to do anything with them. I plan to use them on mule deer in the fall, and your story is typical of what lots of other guys have written on this forum. I like the idea of minimizing blood-shot meat, as well as the complete penetration. I talked with a guy named Steve at Hammer Bullets, and he gave me some pointers on how to load them. He also said to expect 3000 to 3100 fps with this bullet in the 280 Remington. I'll be using H-4350 for starters, and he recommended a magnum primer. I'll post as soon as I know something.
I'm getting 3000 fps with the 143 Hammers in my 24" bbl 280 Rem.....I got up to 3115 but accuracy wasn't as good as the 3000 fps load.

A 143 gr Hammer from a 280 @ 3000 to 3100 fps has oodles of penetration & ought to take two elk side by side. A 143 gr mono 7mm on deer is like using a hammer to squash a fly. My experience has shown a 6.5 100gr mono like the Barnes will completely penetrate both front shoulders of a 200 + lb muley out to 300 yds , no problem... Inside of 500yds consider a mono for a 7mm of about 120grs @ 3100 + fps most likely more. . I believe if you tried it you would be surprised. When using the mono's you have to forget everything you know about lead core bullets. I see it as requiring a new understanding of bullet flight & performance on game. They are a new understanding & open up a new fun experience.

I am confused, you are saying 4350, IMR or H (same burn rates) is slower burning than IMR 4831or H4831???? I respectfully disagree.
30E738ED-FF5F-4D3A-876A-D27DA2680687.png

I'm running the 143gr Hammer in my 280 AI at 3260 fps using RL23. Should be a great load for my NM mule deer hunt this November.

I agree that the 6.5x284 is totally sufficient for elk - I like the 120 grain barnes TTX - accuracy is more important than bullet size and ft.lbs in my experience

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts