.280 or 6.5x284 for elk

Question for the guru's. My .280 load gives 1846 FPS with 1211 ft lbs at 450 yards. I'm shooting a 160 gr partition at 2635 FPS. My 6.5x284 load gives 2092 FPS with 1360 ft lbs at 450 yards. I'm shooting. 140 gr accubond at 2873 FPS. Since the 6.5x284 has more velocity and energy should I use this for my elk hunt? I know some of you will say I need a larger caliper but this is what I have to work with. Please give me your opinions. Thanks!

Staying on course with your original post. Between the two choices "as-is," "my" personal preference is the 6.5 cal.

Last edited:
Staying course with your original post. Between the two choices "as-is," "my" personal preference is the 6.5 cal.
Interesting. Could you give me a load and range limitation? I've been struggling with this topic for a long time.

Over the years Ihave taken numerous elk with the 338 on down. I have been a 6.5 user for elk since 1994 when I started using the Barnes copper mono. Never failed me. Have cleanly taken elk with the 7x57 also. Clean kill. In my opinion it is more about proper bullet placement. Choose what ever cal suits you . Choose a tough deep penetrating bullet . Squeeze the trigger so as to have proper bullet placement = success.

Thanks for all the input! I am going to recheck my velocity on the .280, if it Is the same I'll try the Imr 7828 as I have 160 gr partitions but no bullets any lighter. If not satisfied with the 7828 I'll buy some 140 gr and try that. I really appreciate the help!

You might be perfectly happy with the 160's if you get them moving a little faster. I would use what you've got first, and try the 140's ( or 150's ) when you run out. The animals aren't going to notice the difference - any of those will spoil their whole day.

280 Rem with 7828 160g is a marriage made in heaven, 210 rules, while I usually opt of 215's or cci 250's in many cases.

280 with this combo is a sleeper for sure.

Sad to say, this load stomps all my 7x57 loads and they went down the road.

280 Rem with 7828 160g is a marriage made in heaven, 210 rules, while I usually opt of 215's or cci 250's in many cases.

280 with this combo is a sleeper for sure.

Sad to say, this load stomps all my 7x57 loads and they went down the road.
I agree with all your choices other then powder. Id choose VV N-160/165 as it's better suited for the vast temperature variations here in NE CANADA. Hybrid V 100, superformance & StaBall 6.5 are favourite powders in my CM. I'm assuming the 280 could use them too?

To give a update: I re checked my .280 velocities this morning and verified it was correct. I also shot Nosler Factory ammo with 160 gr partitions also. The ammo box said the velocity was 2775 FPS. It chrono'd at 2643 FPS. I believe the reason for the difference is their velocity was determined with a 26" barrel as their load data was shot using a 26" barrel. My barrel is 22". My .280 velocities again chrono'd at 2635. Right now I'm leaning towards using the 6.5x284. I've got time to decide.
One thing I've noticed when shooting over a chrono is the first cold bore shot is always around 50-60 FPS slower than all the rest of my shots. I've seen this in two of my rifles. Anyone have a explanation??

Curious but, what brand of chronograph are you using and how old is it? If and I say if it's one of the earlier Chrony's I'd send it down the road

To give a update: I re checked my .280 velocities this morning and verified it was correct. I also shot Nosler Factory ammo with 160 gr partitions also. The ammo box said the velocity was 2775 FPS. It chrono'd at 2643 FPS. I believe the reason for the difference is their velocity was determined with a 26" barrel as their load data was shot using a 26" barrel. My barrel is 22". My .280 velocities again chrono'd at 2635. Right now I'm leaning towards using the 6.5x284. I've got time to decide.
One thing I've noticed when shooting over a chrono is the first cold bore shot is always around 50-60 FPS slower than all the rest of my shots. I've seen this in two of my rifles. Anyone have a explanation??

This sounds about like I would expect in your 280. I shot the Hornady 150-grain ELD-X over my Magneto-Speed about six months ago, and it registered 2850 fps. ( The sticker on the box said 2925.) I have a 24" barrel, and they probably used a 26" barrel on their test gun. They also probably have a minimum-spec chamber and/or bore. My rifle probably doesn't. Norma's 156-grain Oryx load clocked 2735 fps, and both the Norma and the Hornady brass showed case head expansion right around .0003." ( This is typical of most of the factory loads I've measured, and maximum loads generally expand around .0005.") In your 22" barrel I would expect to give up a little bit more velocity, and I think your Nosler factory loads are right in the ballpark. With your handloads, you could probably get a bit more velocity. Your loads for the 6.5/284 are quite likely loaded a little hotter than your 280 loads are. I think that either rifle would work just fine, and whichever one you shoot better would be my choice. If you load the 280 to the same level as the 6.5, you might like the numbers better. The animals work care either way.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts