280 or 300 win mag

jakebrake

Was lookin to get my 1st long range rifle.A custom job.I spoke to the gentleman.Telling him I was plannin on doing some shooting comp.Plus hunting.He suggested.The 280 for better barrel life.Less recoil and cheaper to shoot. I was looking for some opions.

You might want to indicate what you intend on hunting and at what ranges you intend on competing. For a comp gun, the 300 Win mag will beat you up. There are many options in the 6.5mm and 7mm calibers that can do both well.

I would be using it mostly for hunting.As far as range.I can get 800 to 900 yrds.Thanx Rick

Lots of choices and hopefully others will comments. One you might want to look at is the 6.5 x 284 pretty balanced mix of accuracy, velocity and down-range bullet performance, with moderate recoil. Has been pretty popular with the BR community too.

Was lookin to get my 1st long range rifle.A custom job.I spoke to the gentleman.Telling him I was plannin on doing some shooting comp.Plus hunting.He suggested.The 280 for better barrel life.Less recoil and cheaper to shoot. I was looking for some opions.

Very similar to the 280 Rem is the 284 Winchester.
I would hazard a strong guess that the 284 Win is used a lot more than the 280 Rem.
Also, nothing wrong with the 6.5-284 - I have 3 of them:D

The only thing better than a .280 is a 280AI. Had a 280 for many years and used it exclusively for hunting. Barrel started to go and after talking to my gunsmith I now have a 280AI. It does everything I want/need it to do up here in Montana. Nothing wrong with a 300 or a 6.5X284 either but after a couple dozen plus animals I wouldn't trade it off for another caliber just because for what i need/use it for I wouldn't gain enough to make it worth while. If you have any specific questions on either the 280 or 280AI send me a PM and I would be more than willing to give you my $ .02 opinion as I've pretty much pushed both calibers for all they can provide.

I meant to say that the 284 Win is used more in comps than the 280.
As far as a hunting rig, it would be the other way around I believe.

I've shot both alot and would advise to honestly ask yourself how much you will shoot the rifle and how much recoil you can handle. I got myself started flinching shooting my 300 3-4 days a week preparing for hunting season. My shoulder got bruised and it hurt my accuracy.

If you choose a 280 I'd recommend at least a 24" barrel to keep velocity up, my 280 with a 22" barrel won't get much over 2800fps with a 140gr bullet.

It depends on your tolerance and what size animal you want to kill at the extended ranges you mentioned.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.