.280 Improved to what?

Tommy Vaughan

I've got an old Gale McMillan made Signature in excellent condition with a .280 Rem., 24" cut rifled barrel with a heavy contour. The rig wears a Leupold 2.5x8 VariXIII and meets the weight limits for the hunter rifle class for which I'd like to use it. Given this limited information, what should/could I do to the rifle if anything to make it better serve my new plan? Should I rechamber to one of the .280 improved forms? What bullet is recommended? Is the 1 in 10 twist stainless barrel too slow? I like the crisp 2.2 lb trigger the way it is. Thanks for any tips or suggestions for my new project. Tommy

Chances are that with a 280, you are going to run into recoil and flinching related problems over the course of a match. Another problem that you might encounter by trying a 7mm is a lack of good custom made bullets. The only ones I know of are 115g from starke, and those would be unlikely to shoot very well from your 1/10 twist barrell.
If you are really dead set on using your 7mm barrel for HBR, then I would suggest that you rechamber the thing to 7-08. This cartridge has many advantages over the 280.
Reduced recoil. It also has just about the perfect case capacity to drive the 150 or 130 sierra matchkings. And there is also Laupa brass in .308 that can be simply necked down.
Im not trying to say that what you want to do is imposible, just that there may be a better way.

Tango Kilo out.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm not sure if I made it clear that I'm interested in hunter class, long range Silhouette shooting, about which I know little. I've heard though that lighter bullets and loads don't knock 'em over, but magnums aren't allowed. Is the .280 too much still? Thanks for any tutorial information from LR silhoette shooters. Tommy

Tommy,

You can use a 280. I would reccommend the Sierra 168 MK or the Berger 168 or 180 VLD as far as bullets are concerned. You should have no problem knocking over the 500 Meter Ram with that combo.

The 280 is not too much as long as you are used to the recoil and can put 50-60 rounds through it at a match.

The best thing to do is enter a match with your rifle and give it a try (you'll love it)and see if the rifle needs rechambered.

My two cents anyway.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts