.280 for Moose..??

I have shot bull elk with .280 and 140 accubond bullet handloaded to right around 3100 fps. w/ h4831sc

1 word i would use to descibe wound channel on pass thru shot 1/4 away on the last one.

Devestating:D

I can imagine the same results on a shiras

I dont think he's specified where is going for moose yukons are a fair amount bigger than shiras, 200lbs or more in some cases. 280 on shiras i can go for that out to 350 with a well placed shot. Yukon moose i'd want to be pretty dam close for one thing grizzlies could pose a issue if it ran for a while and might become dinner. Personally something that big Im gonna want to hammer that 16d nail with a 25 sledge hammer 1 shot and he knows i hit him. I own several guns 243 270 300rum, and 338 win mag, soon i hope a 338AX and i would pick the 338 win mag with 200grn bullet flat enough and hammers hard and will absolutely go thru shoulder plate at 300 yards and closer. Just my opinion.

I built a rem 700 in 300wm for elk hunting and LR shots, practiced out to 600yds every week. Was quite proficient at any range in between.
Only issue was that the rifle was long barreled and a bit heavy at 10.75 lbs.
My back up rifle was my rem 700 mountain rifle in 280 rem.
Long story short... I decided that I needed to hunt dark timber because the animals were coming out after dark and retiring before sunrise.

So I grabbed the 280 becuz I thought any shot would be short range in the timber.
Fact of the matter is I never got to the timber.
6 cows and a 6pnt and a 2pnt busted over the ridge while I was walking to the cut I wanted to hunt.
Shot 3 times at him as he ran down the mountain at what I would find out later was 400+ yards

Hit him in the boiler room 3x and he dropped after ..I don't know 75yds,,, not to far.

I was shooting a load of h4831 sc with 140 accubonds at around 3000fps, found out after I started boning him out that each shot was a passthru. Bull had no lungs, had no heart.

I know there are some physical differences between a moose and an elk, But I would never be afraid of taking my 280 on a hunt for anything. Not to mention its really the most accurate rifle I own..bone stock
gun)

I know there are some physical differences between a moose and an elk, But I would never be afraid of taking my 280 on a hunt for anything. Not to mention its really the most accurate rifle I own..bone stock
gun)

That's because you've never woke up a 10 1/2 foot brown bear from a dead sleep, at 60 yds distance in the alders. I was grabbing for a hand grenade in all pockets.

Thousands of moose have met their end in Europe at the hands of a 6.5x55 Swede so I'd say a 280 would serve you well.

phorwath

Your right and I hope never do stumble across a 10 1/2 brownie at 60yds with my .280 (I really..really do)

cuz as in-effectual my little 280 would be ...means I would have to wrestle & kill him with my little buck 110 knife....:D

I know that I can hit a flea in the *** at 200 with it and the accubonds are a darn good bullet.

I guess that's the chance you take in the big woods

That's because you've never woke up a 10 1/2 foot brown bear from a dead sleep, at 60 yds distance in the alders. I was grabbing for a hand grenade in all pockets.[/QUOTH

Holy Hannah, I wouldnt want any of that! a pump 35 whelen would be my choice in that cover.if you can manage to tell us the rest of the story without hijacking this thread That would be awesome

One of my favorite rifles is a 280 and have seen some really big moose taken with 280's,but i think they were made for the 140 or 160's.If you go up to 175's or bigger I think you need to go 7MM mag for the extra power

I shoot the 175 Elite Hunter in my .280 (AI). I get 2975fps from them, so I would think 2800+ would be possible in a .280Rem. It is my mountain elk rifle. I would have no issues shooting an elk at 800 with it, so a moose at 300 should be a slam dunk.

I have a Rem mountain in 280 rem and love it. But when it comes to big game in grizzly country a 338 win mag with 225 gr bullet going 2944 fps is in a separate class altogether . There is a big difference between foot pounds of energy and probably adequate . No one ever questioned if the 338 can do the job. As long as you can handle the recoil.

I used my .280 Rem with 150 gr Nosler Accubond's @ 2900 vel to harvest my Moose this year. 354 yds. Bullet placement trumps everything...

I think so. The round nose, heavy for caliber bullets, launched at moderate velocities have been getting done for a long time. I haven't used that particular one, but would have no qualms about it. The Nosler 175 partition is a good bullet in that class. A little tougher and a spitzer, but should meet your goals also.

A 175gr partition? That'll put on a hurt on moose!

I went to a 280 about 10 years ago. Has taken deer, elk, and sheep. 150 scirocco and 140 Accubond have served me well. I realize those aren't moose.

A friend has taken two moose and has hunted with 280 for 20 years. He has taken more game than me with a 280. Bears, elk, moose, and others. He used to shoot 140 Accubond, but switched to ELDX a couple years back, I think in 143 or 145, can't remember exactly.

As many others already stated, 280 will do the trick.