280 bullet choice for mule deer

Wildlifefarmer

For you 280 deer hunters, I'll be on a mule deer hunt this October in Oregon. Taking my 280 (24" barrle) and want to hear some recommendations on appropriate bullet in a factory load that gives good terminal performance on mulies in 300 - 400 yd shot.

thanks.

I have gone on several mule dear hunts with my 280 and the best bullet I have used is a speer 145 bt using 57 grains of IMR4350..They all have been 1 shot kills out to 500 yards

For you 280 deer hunters, I'll be on a mule deer hunt this October in Oregon. Taking my 280 (24" barrle) and want to hear some recommendations on appropriate bullet in a factory load that gives good terminal performance on mulies in 300 - 400 yd shot.

thanks.

Most of the time you don't get to pick the factory load you want to shoot, your gun does. W/ that said get some 280 bullets and see which shoots the best and there's your answer.

I may have some factory 280's laying around... I'll part w/ them if you're interested.

139s,140s should work very nice for you,hornady , federal fusion Remington your best bet is shop early , custom bullets will work also but will cost more ,150 grain bullets move slower can bee just as accurate but will recoil more .the more you read up on bullet choices and brands the better choice you'll make, regards n happy hunting jjmp

I've seen the fusion shoot accurately in a lot of rifles. It seems fairly flexible, not too fussy about the rifle. The hornady 139gmx would be a good one as well if it will shoot for you.

Specifically can say I've shot any in a 280, as I don't own one...yet.

I agree with others that I would try a few and see what shoots best. There are several that may work.

I would look at a load using the Nosler Ballistic Tip (Federal makes one, Winchester has the Ballistic Silvertip). Others include Barnes Vor-TX and Nosler 140 Accubond if I were to pick from those commonly available. I'd probably buy all 5 (if you include Fusion) and see what groups best at longer range, then buy several boxes of your favorite.

Good luck!

thanks.
139gr or 154gr Hornady interbond gives very good accuracy and as close to perfect terminal performance consistently on deer sized game as I've ever seen at sub 600yds ranges.

The 150gr Swift Sirocco is probably my number two.

I shot both bullets for many years from a 7mm Rem with great results.

Try Sierra 140 gr Pro Hunter. Accurate, inexpensive, and absolute awesome performance in my Rem 7 Mag, 7 Mauser and Rem 280.

Great caliber!! I can shoot core loct 165gr bullets under 1" out of my 280AI, IMO you should look at the BC of the bullets you will be buying. Try a few and see how they shoot, I have had good luck and it seams like whatever ammo I shoot in 280 out of my or my wifes rifle it flies great.

I reload for my Ackley and like the higher BC options and use the bergers but am planning on shooting my rifle further than 300 yards. I would try some of the fusion or cheaper stuff first and see how it shoots before dropping the money on HSM or Nosler custom ammo. Norma also makes some good looking ammo and if you ever decide to custom load you will have some good brass or if you want to get some of your money back I would buy all of the Norma brass from you;) I'd give you $15 a box for the fired brass which would make Norma substantially cheaper than the HSM or Nosler!!!

Where at in Oregon do you live and where will you be hunting?

Great caliber!! I can shoot core loct 165gr bullets under 1" out of my 280AI, IMO you should look at the BC of the bullets you will be buying. Try a few and see how they shoot, I have had good luck and it seams like whatever ammo I shoot in 280 out of my or my wifes rifle it flies great.

I reload for my Ackley and like the higher BC options and use the bergers but am planning on shooting my rifle further than 300 yards. I would try some of the fusion or cheaper stuff first and see how it shoots before dropping the money on HSM or Nosler custom ammo. Norma also makes some good looking ammo and if you ever decide to custom load you will have some good brass or if you want to get some of your money back I would buy all of the Norma brass from you;) I'd give you $15 a box for the fired brass which would make Norma substantially cheaper than the HSM or Nosler!!!

Where at in Oregon do you live and where will you be hunting?

Maxxis, I'll be hunting the Grizzly unit.
I can kill whitetails here in Georgia with 139 gr, 140 gr ammo all day long but shots are under 200 yards. I have zero experience reloading or shooting mule deer in open plains. I know I can find factory ammo that my Tikka and Cooper will shoot MOA and less, my concern is the choosing the bullet with the right structure that will confidently perform 350 yards or so downrange at impact velocity.

Maxxis, I'll be hunting the Grizzly unit.
I can kill whitetails here in Georgia with 139 gr, 140 gr ammo all day long but shots are under 200 yards. I have zero experience reloading or shooting mule deer in open plains. I know I can find factory ammo that my Tikka and Cooper will shoot MOA and less, my concern is the choosing the bullet with the right structure that will confidently perform 350 yards or so downrange at impact velocity.

The 140 gr BT is all the bullet you need to kill the biggest mule deer from 10 yds to 600 yds. All you need to do is put it where it needs to go. I've taken 17 WT bucks with this bullet, all but one were DRT. One little buck went 2-3 jumps with a heart shot and was down. I also took a couple of caribou with the same 280 Rem 140 gr BT load at 250 yds, and they went right down as well with exits the size of a quarter.

JD338

+1 to WildRose's suggestion. I've had great success with the 150 grain Swift Scirocco. Hornady Interbond's simply don't shoot as well in my 7mm Rem Mag.

G

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.