.280 AI

This is my favorite round. It is a very deadly accurate round. I have one in a Cooper backcountry and I'm building another one with a CF barrel. It is not a round I would go hunt grizzlies with but anything else, no hesitation.
Talk to me about the backcountry in 280ai.

I'm jonesing to get one

TIA

Talk to me about the backcountry in 280ai.

I'm jonesing to get one

TIA
One it is a very light rifle to begin with. It comes with a factory Cooper brake, does a decent job, but load. I had no trouble coming up with a load for it, it seemed to like just about everything I put in it. Shooting 140 Nosler AB's through it. The gun shoots great period. I was on a western hunt a year ago and really never noticed it being a weight issue with it and we hiked miles on miles each day.

i have been poking around looking at 280ai's as well. I am a big fan of the 284 bullet. My stumbling point has been barrel twists on factory rifles. I have found the Browning at 8 believe, but most of the others seem to be 9 or slower twist barrels. I want to be able to stabilize longer bullets. One of the most frustrating issues I have encountered is slow twist rates on factory options.

Nice. I'm considering building almost the same setup. Haven't chosen an action yet, and am debating 280ai, 7saum, and 7rm (280ai is in the lead). Do you know the bare rifle weight?
Rifle with brake, rings and scope is 8lbs 12oz,

Swarovski is 21oz
SLP covers are 3oz for the pair
Rings are 3oz
Brake is 4oz

That gives us an approximate bare weight of 6lbs 13oz

This target is at 100yds with factory Nosler 140gr AccuBond and the MC Tuner Brake set on the zero setting.

The doe was at 140yds thru the eyeball, I shot 2 more the following morning in the head at a hair over 300yds. It was for S&G shots

6E4DFDEF-B70D-4ED5-9057-5DB493E3CA35.jpeg
A2B9EA4E-C0BF-43F8-8E7F-3AB3C1FC6668.jpeg

Last edited: