.280 ai

brandon327

I am building a .280 ai. I have never shot one , does it need a break? I have found a barrel that is threaded for a break. I was hoping to find one that wasn't.

How much will you be shooting? How much will your rifle weigh? For many years I fought the idea of muzzle brakes, now all my rifles that I fire a lot have them....including my 280 AI. Does it need one? Likely not, it all depends on what you prefer.

JM2C

I built my 280AI last year on a savage action, using a Boyds stock. I planned on using a brake from the start, and chose JP Industries two baffle model. I used to run a 7 rem mag with no brake and was tired of the recoil. The 12 pound 280 is a pussycat, no matter how long I stay at the range. Is the brake strictly necessary? Probably not. But I have them on several rifles now, with no plans for going without ever again. Spotting my own hits is pretty neat, and for the folks who say brakes are too loud to hunt with I have this suggestion: electronic ear protection. Any rifle is too loud to hunt with, braked or not. Ears don't heal after being damaged. Ever.

Depends on the shooter's preference I'd think. I have a 280AI due any day here so haven't yet shot it but theoretically it will recoil a bit less than my 30-06 of similar weight. With a decent recoil pad I don't personally NEED a brake on a 30-06 hunting weight rifle to shoot a few dozen rounds in a range session. If I was shooting 30+ or something I have a feeling I'd start getting fatigued with an 8lb gun. Now if we're talking a 12lb gun then that knocks down the recoil substantially so something I could shoot all day not problem.

I'm sure for target work and watching bullet flight it would be nice but I'm not going to hunt with it on so I don't practice with it. Others have different desires/preferences.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.