280 AI vs 7 mm SAUM

Ftothfadd

So, I am curious of your opinion, or even better, experience. I think these cartridges are nearly identical on paper (please show me your data if you disagree). One of them uses a short action but a magnum bolt face the other one is a standard action and bolt face. Both of them are niche cartridges with passionate followers although the 280 AI is becoming more and more mainstream with the increasing availability of factory ammo (discounting COVID/politically charged era). Which one would you choose for a new build? Why?

280AI.

Several gun manufacturers now produce rifles in this cartridge. Brass is available and can be fireformed as well. You can seat bullets longer than a 7 SAUM in a short action.

Its a cartridge thats right behind the 7mm Rem Mag and with less powder.

In the past I used the 280 Rem and loved it, the 280AI is just faster and that is always good.

Stay safe

I've got a couple of each of these. They are all great but I think I'd give the edge to the 280 AI......I just think it's extremely hard to get ANY of the short mags to cycle in a bolt gun as flawlessly as a standard diameter 30-06 length case will.....

My dad had a Model 7 in 7 SAWM and my brother has one as well, either one had or has had any feeding issues of the standard magazine.

My hunting buddy has a Weatherby rifle in 270 WSM and also no issues.

I keep reading about these issues and never seen them before.

Stay safe

I have tried some of the center feed mags and YES they do feed better than a staggered box bolt gun...........
It's kinda funny how the loads for my rifles go.....
Factory M7 SS 7 SAUM 140 NAB's
Custom M700 SS 7 SAUM 168 Berger CH
Cooper 52 280 AI 145 LRX
Cooper 52 280 AI 160 NAB's
All I'd then 1/2 MOA shooters with their loads.
The custom 700 will shoot about ANY BULLET extremely accurately

after having a 280 then rechamber to 280 ai and now a 7 saum my choice was the saum. I do load mine long 3.0+ inches and it will gain some over the ackley but accuracy for both is so close velocity wise that it is a toss up. the advantage is the saum will be lower pressure and get a little better brass life.
the ackley does win with the non reloader or casual reloader

after having a 280 then rechamber to 280 ai and now a 7 saum my choice was the saum. I do load mine long 3.0+ inches and it will gain some over the ackley but accuracy for both is so close velocity wise that it is a toss up. the advantage is the saum will be lower pressure and get a little better brass life.
the ackley does win with the non reloader or casual reloader
As someone who has had a lee single stage for the last 5 years and yet to actually have it set up, and having this exact debate myself I do have to ask... when will a guy actually be able to purchase factory .280ai again though??

So, I am curious of your opinion, or even better, experience. I think these cartridges are nearly identical on paper (please show me your data if you disagree). One of them uses a short action but a magnum bolt face the other one is a standard action and bolt face. Both of them are niche cartridges with passionate followers although the 280 AI is becoming more and more mainstream with the increasing availability of factory ammo (discounting COVID/politically charged era). Which one would you choose for a new build? Why?
I've currently been going back and forth between these two for my first "custom" build as well!

Recent Posts