.280 ai twist

If you are not shooting copper or anything heavier than the 180 VLD gor with the 9 twist.
I have a 280 AI that shoots 168's fine with a 10 twist at almost sea level. The 9 twist is insurance.

The rifle is new and the only animal I've shot was a small whitetail doe this season. She was just shy of 300yds and couldn't really tell how small she was.....but the freezer was empty. Let's just say that it's still close to empty. The bullet did a number though. Slightly quartering away, entered in the crease behind the shoulder and the exit looked like i shot her with a .338. I know it was a very small doe but I was amazed at the damage. View attachment 255797
Time for a tougher bullet

Hey all, recently decided to have APR build my first custom rifle in 280ai. Going with a 24" proof. I was thinking I would go with the 1:8.4 twist but talking to APR on the phone they were recommending 1:9 twist... I'm torn, what do you guys think? I don't really have a specific bullet I'm planning on running, just factory ammo for now and work my way into reloading with the lee press I've had in a box for 5 years...
If you want an 8 twist, get it. No reason not to.

The rifle is new and the only animal I've shot was a small whitetail doe this season. She was just shy of 300yds and couldn't really tell how small she was.....but the freezer was empty. Let's just say that it's still close to empty. The bullet did a number though. Slightly quartering away, entered in the crease behind the shoulder and the exit looked like i shot her with a .338. I know it was a very small doe but I was amazed at the damage. View attachment 255797
If that was done at 300yds, I wouldn't use that bullet again. I would hate to see what it would do at 50 to 100yds. I wonder if you would even find the deer. I am almost willing to bet that most of the deer was blood shot.

That's a BIG hole ........

This is exactly what mine will be, was gonna build it myself but can't hardly get the parts for the price they will build it for, it's a no brainer!
I will say it was a finicky barrel though. Factory 140 accubonds were lasers but I struggled finding handloads it liked until I tried Hammer bullets. 155 HH at 3k with RL26 shoots great now

Bullmark,
You need to try Hammers. You ruined a bunch of meat with whatever you shot that doe with. Just saying!🤔
Well honestly I didn't know if people were being sarcastic when they replied about using a different bullet. I haven't shot many deer (any animal actually) with the VLD, but the few I have dropped and the damage wasn't as severe as this last one. Most of my deer have been taken with a broad head....and a few with my muzzleloader.
Ive always heard "better to lose a little meat than the whole animal"......but maybe that's an outdated saying....??
I'm shooting the VLD in my .280ai because it was giving me the most accuracy and consistency. My other rifles have all been built by the same group (McWhorter)....and they chose it, although I could have asked for something different.
I'd love to try the Hammers....the argument and real world results have me sold.
My only issue is I don't reload and I'm stocked up on VLD hand loads. If the shortage ever ends I plan on having some Hammers loaded up and see how they perform.
I appreciate all the advice and comments....my only suggestion is don't assume that "I get it" when saying one thing and meaning the opposite....I'm a simpleton newbie to this particular world. I am working on it though and know 1000% more today than 3 months ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.