280 AI trim to length

slas

I noticed in my research than many post the trim to length for the 280 AI at 2.525, whereas the Sierra manual post it as 2.515. I then noticed in the manual diagram the case size showed 2.525 also. Then read else where you're supposed to trim .010 below max case length. I guess I never paid much attention to the fact that the trim to size was always .010 less than the size shown in the diagram.

I guess my question is what are you trimming to? If you're trimming to 2.525 why that as opposed to suggested trim to length?

Just seemed strange when doing a google query that so many show 2.525
.010" below max case length. 2.515" for SAAMI spec chambers.
Understand, just seemed strange to see several quoting 2.525 as the trim to length. I guess I never really paid much attention, just went to the book and that was the length I used. I never saw alternative trim to lengths when researching on my other cartridges.

You need to check the actual length of your chamber. The SAAMI spec for the chamber is 2.560" with a tolerance of +.015". So you could have a chamber that measures 2.575" and be within specs.

all of the chambers i have measured have had a longer trim length than noted in the reloading manuals. knowing the length saves a lot of trimming. trim to .010 less than chamber length.

kind of nice to use a sinclaire chamber length guage and know. only a few $.
I have a lot of reloading goodies but this isn't one of them. I might forgo buying one and try some of the ideas from searching on "homemade chamber length guage". I like the idea of cutting the neck off, deburing, seating the bullet, then chambering with the cut off piece of the neck on the tip of the bullet. Seems easy and accurate.

Attachments

• clgauge02.jpg
    clgauge02.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 239
  • clgauge01.jpg
    clgauge01.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 268
Finally got around to this, the winning number is 2.565. A bit longer than I expected....I obviously haven't found any of my cartridges even close to this length. Longest I've found is around 2.530 on some once fired I bought. They range from 2.518 to that so I'm thinking for consistency's sake trim all to the lowest common denominator?

Attachments

• brass1.jpg
    brass1.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 257
  • brass2.jpg
    brass2.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.