• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED 280 AI ?s

kbuehner

Im new to Longerange. Trying to decide on a Longerange Rifle. Seems the more I read the more confused I get. I decided on either the 7 wsm or the 7 mag but then started looking at the 280 AI. Is it true that the 280 AI is more forgiveing than the other 7 mags. Also I want a gun that I can Play with at the range but also hunt with comfortably. I would also appreciate recomendations on barrel sizes that will work good for both leaning more toward the hunting end of spectrum. One more question is a browning A bolt an ok action to do a build on? Thanks Keith

Welcome. Check out the discussion forums, too (this is classifieds). What is long range to you? Are you trying just to hit a target, which requires bullet to remain super sonic? Or kill a large animal, which requires proper type of bullet with enough velocity to open and enough energy to kill? 280 AI is good round, but will not likely propel the 160 grain plus bullets at sufficient velocity. Both the mags are good choices. WSM slight edge on capacity, but very close. Over-bore mags like STW and RUM quickly go into diminishing returns.