280 AI resizing

Take .003 off the top of your shell holder. I gently touch the side of my bench grinding wheel, and dip in water often. Use your calipers to measure from top to bottom.

Your brass may be very work-hardened. I anneal with a propane torch and pan of water, been using this technique for 30 years, and it works. I do not heat up the shoulder as annealing the neck is enough heat on the shoulder.

OP, your problem is simple, and it is typical for a custom rifle with a good match chamber with a minimum spec chamber. The fix is simple and cheap,

Good luck
I have used that for years. The only thing is doesn't get the heat even all the way around. Get a competition shellholder #4. Or use some of the other suggestions in grinding the shellholder down some. You can adjust your die up a little if you take to much off.

I have used that for years. The only thing is doesn't get the heat even all the way around. Get a competition shellholder #4. Or use some of the other suggestions in grinding the shellholder down some. You can adjust your die up a little if you take to much off.
I do have a set of comp shell holders so I can grind one off them.

Comp she'll holders are +. I need minus
From Redding:

Now you can control headspace. The new Redding Competition Shellholders are packaged in five piece sets in .002" increments (+.002", +.004". +.006", +.008" and +.010"). Each shellholder has a distinct black oxide finish and is clearly marked to indicate the amount it will decrease case-to-chamber headspace. You can now easily adjust the shoulder bump to customize cases to your specific chamber.

How do you know it's the shoulder, maybe the web area has swelled enough to bind in chamber?

IMO, folks are jumping much too fast onto the "buy a competition shellholder" or "stone your dies or shellholder" path.
I took this away from the OP.
He has been loading successfully for many years for this rifle with these dies.
He has not annealed his brass previously (not sure how many loadings he's gotten without it before)
I can see no reason a resizing set-up that has worked for many years would all of a sudden need any changes to its dimensions.
Annealing is a very cheap fix to try first. Take a look at Butterbean's tutorial on doing it the simple way with a torch and a rotating socket.

Cheers,
Rex

I know this has been asked numerous times but I'm just too irritated to search.
Long time reloader of 280 AI Rem Improved 40. Rifle is pre saami just like the dies. All of a sudden the shoulder will not set back and is growing. I can neck size but want to set back 1-2 thousands and try my sample pack of Hammer bullets. I have a few pieces of resized brass that won't chamber! Just when I think I know what I'm doing I get punched in the face.
did you change shell holders? they can very alot!

I checked two and one was RCBS was .499, Redding is .493. I always use the Redding with my Redding dies.

Pretty sure you need to measure the thickness of the top part of the shell holder that sets on the "top" of the ram. The bottom part is not the pressure bearing part of the shell holder when ram is raised.

First do you have a comparator, and it seem you would have a comparator? You can check a reloading manual length from base to shoulder. I wouldn't know if there a difference between 280AI cases or chambering, it's my understanding there is a different at one time. If you have case that will chamber, that haven't been fired. Use the comparator to see what it is. Check the cases that won't fit with a comparator to see what the difference is. The other is size a case without the expander ball on and see what the case measures compared to a case using the expander ball to the shoulder. The other is just how long is the total case length from base to top of neck. I don't know your reload process is. Annealing I don't see that is a problem. Annealing will extend the life of your brass Annealing relaxes the brass in the neck area, helps stops neck splitting, and help release concentricity. The other is case stretch, if the case have been used several times.

First do you have a comparator, and it seem you would have a comparator? You can check a reloading manual length from base to shoulder. I wouldn't know if there a difference between 280AI cases or chambering, it's my understanding there is a different at one time. If you have case that will chamber, that haven't been fired. Use the comparator to see what it is. Check the cases that won't fit with a comparator to see what the difference is. The other is size a case without the expander ball on and see what the case measures compared to a case using the expander ball to the shoulder. The other is just how long is the total case length from base to top of neck. I don't know your reload process is. Annealing I don't see that is a problem. Annealing will extend the life of your brass Annealing relaxes the brass in the neck area, helps stops neck splitting, and help release concentricity. The other is case stretch, if the case have been used several times.
I've read all the post , all pretty sound advice , let us know what you figure out , may help one of us in the future . I'm never too old too learnor think I know it all .

Recent Posts