280 ai primers?

I run Fed 215 with IMR-7828 in one of my 280AI (Lilja Barrel). My other one (Kreiger Barrel) I use Fed 210 with H-4831sc /150gr Barnes and same primer with IMR-7828/150gr ELD-X. I did full work up using Fed 215.

Every guns different , but 215's and RL23 has worked very well in 3-280AI for me.

Last edited:
Only thing I heard was that in sub-freezing and ball powders, using a magnum primer can help with consistent burn. I have no personal experience since I didn't have the my 280AI until after the last hunt.

It's nice to know you have options. I'm out of Federals but Remington 91/2's are working out for me in my 280 Ackley along with H4831sc pushing 160 Accubonds. Only downside is they are not near max loads. I'm going to try Hornady 162 gr ELD-X next. Anybody has any advice, I'm all ears. Thanks. Can not get partitions to group .750" moa (140 or 150's).

It's nice to know you have options. I'm out of Federals but Remington 91/2's are working out for me in my 280 Ackley along with H4831sc pushing 160 Accubonds. Only downside is they are not near max loads. I'm going to try Hornady 162 gr ELD-X next. Anybody has any advice, I'm all ears. Thanks. Can not get partitions to group .750" moa (140 or 150's).
Get some RL23

I haven't seen any RL26 around here for quite a while.
I've got a little RL23 and IMR 7828SSC, and a fair amount of H4831SC. I think I should be able to find a recipe using one of those. I started out with RL22 and got good MV w/o pressure signs. But that was before I figured out that it was seriously temp sensitive. Where I live, I've seen 107° for a high and -35° for a low, none of which accounted for wind chill or humidity. So I'm wanting a pretty stable powder.
I've got a 27" Lilja pipe, so it seems to like the slower stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.