280 AI FT +P vs 7mm PRC

Goes with saying though if you're using apples to apples and compare a 280AI or 284 to a 7 PRC with both at 20" then the PRC will still have the speed to it's favor.

How long that barrel? I hope you're wearing face protection on your way to these
You do realize that the 280 AI as with the 7mm SAUM nearly mimics the 7RM and that the only difference ballistically between the 7 PRC and the 7 RM is the factory barrel twist rate. When you add .25 free bore to the 280 AI you extend the case capacity to around 68.0. You realize that allows you to nearly duplicate 7 PRC ballistics right. There is literally 4.0 difference in case capacity and both are very efficient at what they do. We are running a 27" barrel and at least one other person on here running the same set up is get 2950 with 175s out of it with no pressure signs running if I remember correctly 59 gr of R26 which is interesting because that is what Hornady recommends for the PRC at the same velocity if memory serves me correct. Interesting?

The 7PRC offers a little over the other 7s but not much. It is a great cartridge but offers little for those of us who tinker with stuff!😁 Having played with the Creedmoor and 300 PRC it is hard to get them to do more than the factory ammo, not so with the old 06 case the 280 AI is based off of and brass choices abound. If you don't hand load or tinker get a PRC. If you just want to be different want more choices in ammo and brass rebarrel your 7RM or give your 280 AI a little room to breath.🙂 Modern rifles can handle it.

The rifle mine is being built off of is a switch barrel gun. The 280 AI allows me to use the same bolt. It is just something different to play with. Will primarily be used for load development and 1000 yard comps with the occasional deer or elk. I don't hunt as much as I use to, still love it, just don't have the time right now to do it as often as I would like. When we start new load development we will post pics of the brass, groups and data from the rifle. It will be a few months but I will post the results. May buy a PRC or order a bolt and barrel just to compare apples to apples, same bullets, powders and primers. I think the results would be interesting and enlightening to some of us. Have a blessed day friend!

Last edited:
Here are some real world numbers from Hornady and Nosler comparing the 7 PRC to a standard 280 AI both with 24" barrels running 175 grain ABLRs or 175 gr ELDXs over R26 for best accuracy and highest safe loads by their calculations. The PRC uses 10% more powder. With the exception of the 60.5 gr 280 AI load everything came straight from the website or a reloading manual. These are their numbers not mine and remember we are taking about a +P variant of the 280 AI, these numbers are for a standard 280 AI.

280 AI 175 ABLRs 2903 fps 59.5 grs 94% case fill.
7 PRC 175 ELDXs 2950 fps 66.0 grs 94% case fill.

280 AI 175 ABLRs 2954 fps 60.5 grs 97 % case fill.

280 AI 185 RDF 2792 fps (adjusted for barrel length) 58.5 grs 106 % case fill. (Best performance load test barrel)

7 PRC 185 RDF 2880 fps 65.0 grs 88% case fill. (Best performance load from test barrel.)

Both cases are almost identical in efficiency. The PRC uses 10% more powder to produce 10 % more velocity in a 24" barrel.

If we take 2900 for the AI and 2950 for the PRC? The PRC gives you 100 ft lbs more energy at the muzzle, 10-15 yards more point blank range and 50 yards more before the bullet starts to destabilize at 1700 yards. Again that is comparing it to a standard 280 AI w/o the added .25 free bore. It is interesting when you compare apples to apples and for all practical purposes the 280 AI 1/8 twist with .25 free bore should nearly duplicate the PRC if not completely be it's equal.🤔

At this point in time the 280 AI offers more ammo choices and availability and better brass. Standard 280, 280 AI and 280 AI +P will all shoot in the +P chamber.🤫 Don't tell the 6.5 man bun crowd. It maybe be more than they can comprehend because the PRC is the answer to all things ballistics, nothing can do what it does.😂

Just messing with you guys. All jokes aside, the PRC is a great cartridge. In my opinion the best of the PRC line and it uses all of the right pieces to do it. It is the modern 284 only better. I like it, just don't think I need it. But then again this is not a needs kind of sport. So do I want it?🤔😂 I think I need another gun! Or at the very least to invest in a new bolt.😁

Last edited:
Velocity wise it's obviously splitting hairs. With a faster twist and extra freebore the 280 AI is just a pubic hair short of a ballistic twin. Some other considerations other than availability of QUALITY, not hornady brass (1+ year out, if we're lucky) I would also consider that depending on your bottom metal/stock configuration you might get an extra round in the magazine and let's not forget how smooth those standard cartridges feed. Smooooth. Throw in a new bolt and the potential for clickers (potential custom die/custom throat/time for tinkering) and I would strongly consider your 280 Ackley twice…thrice improved😬 if you know your 280 combo rocks, rock that combo. I do like my 7prc but the 280 A3xi is pretty sweet! One day you might look back and think it's better even…

Velocity wise it's obviously splitting hairs. With a faster twist and extra freebore the 280 AI is just a pubic hair short of a ballistic twin. Some other considerations other than availability of QUALITY, not hornady brass (1+ year out, if we're lucky) I would also consider that depending on your bottom metal/stock configuration you might get an extra round in the magazine and let's not forget how smooth those standard cartridges feed. Smooooth. Throw in a new bolt and the potential for clickers (potential custom die/custom throat/time for tinkering) and I would strongly consider your 280 Ackley twice…thrice improved😬 if you know your 280 combo rocks, rock that combo. I do like my 7prc but the 280 A3xi is pretty sweet! One day you might look back and think it's better even…
We are running 10 rd AISC mags so bottom Metal is not an issue nor the longer coal but a Wyatt's box solves that as well. Fun stuff! Probably end up with a mag bolt anyway, just because!😁

I have also heard or it was alluded to that the throat on the PRC was cut to favor the 175 and 180 ELDX/ELDM which is what it was optimized for.