280 AI FT +P vs 7mm PRC

Fed 215mag. Have CCI250s, but I was 100FPS faster with N570 so stuck with it. Better case fill with it. You may get better case fill with the RL23 than I did. If I remember, there was a little more "empty space"in there than I prefer. N570 worked well with it, so stuck with that.

QL indicates the following velocities are possible with your COAL and barrel length:

175 Elite Hunter - 2928 fps with max safe load of 59.7 grains of RL23
195 Elite Hunter - 2783 fps with max safe load of 60.4 grains of RL23

I'm no expert on the effects of additional free bore on velocity, but I think you will be hard pressed to get to your numbers without destroying your brass, your rifle and possibly injuring yourself in the process.

QL indicates the following velocities are possible with your COAL and barrel length:

175 Elite Hunter - 2928 fps with max safe load of 59.7 grains of RL23
195 Elite Hunter - 2783 fps with max safe load of 60.4 grains of RL23

I'm no expert on the effects of additional free bore on velocity, but I think you will be hard pressed to get to your numbers without destroying your brass, your rifle and possibly injuring yourself in the process.
Free bore allows you to load more powder at the same pressures hence more velocity and added barrel length increases the time under pressure resulting in more velocity as well. When I run the calculations by hand with only 58.5 grains of Reloader 23 which is my preferred powder of choice I come up with approximately 2890 fps with fed 210M primers. It should not be anywhere near over pressure but we will walk it into it for sure. Safety is first and foremost. Been doing this a while and haven't blown one up yet. Knock on wood! I am occasionally off on my calculations but never more than 25 - 50 fps. Nosler shows there max load at 55.5 grains from a 26" using Winchester primers at 2765 fps. Barrel manufacturers alone from barrel to barrel can make a 50 fps difference in velocity in my experience. It is why I prefer Krieger barrels. Not saying we will get there but I bet we get close. Say 2860 fps. It is an M24 contour barrel and a Terminus Zeus action. If it is slower it will be because the accuracy node is at a lower charge not because the cases and rifle can't handle the pressure. Don't think I'll harm my person with it. But thanks for the advice. COAL should be 3.69 with 175 grain ABLRs and 3.73-3.74 with the bergers.

Now back to my original question based on your numbers what real advantage do I gain from the PRC over the 280 AI? Considering I am already set up for the AI. 100-200 fps??? What does that translate into down range within realistic hunting ranges and conditions? Say 750 yards and in? A 1000 yards for completion? I know the answer but I think it makes for a good discussion? Thoughts???

Last edited:
Id buy the mag bolt anyway. Then you have a ton of options. You are far enough into this project that another $400 is trivial. And you gain the ability to at a whim have another barrel shipped and ready to go. This only being if you really like the platform, which it sounds like ya do. Those are great velocity out of a 280 with pills that size. Impressed

They're going to be very close to each other performance wise. If you're already setup for the 280 AI then I'd just stick with that. The $400 for a bolt will buy you a lot of brass and components for the 280 AI. If you were starting out fresh, I'd vote 7PRC because support for that cartridge is going to be awesome just like it is for the other PRCs and the Creedmoors. There will be lots of brass available for the PRC by the end of the year and it will have long term support. But in your case, I'd just buy 200-300 more pieces of 280 Ackley and settle in with that cartridge and continue on with what you're doing.
Plus it's different. Something you upgraded in performance to fit your personal needs. I really like the 7PRC from what I've seen but the 280AI+P is just not common. Kinda like my 260AI. Sure the 6.5 CM and PRC are options but I love the 260AI

Plus it's different. Something you upgraded in performance to fit your personal needs. I really like the 7PRC from what I've seen but the 280AI+P is just not common. Kinda like my 260AI. Sure the 6.5 CM and PRC are options but I love the 260AI
I just started what I think is a fun discussion. Rifles are really built for a specific use and can be configured however the shooter wants it. No two are alike. Two rifles in the same caliber can shoot the same load 50 fps faster or slower than one another. It is interesting to me. I am a shooter not a collector. I don't care what a rifle looks like. Does it shoot. I am also a little old school. I could have asked the same question about the 6.5x284 Norma (which is what I shoot and have for over 20 years) vs the 6.5 PRC but that topic has been exhausted already. The 7PRC is just new. For me you don't gain enough over the AI and you have better brass choices with the AI at this point. But that could change. Not having to change the bolt is also an advantage on a switch barrel gun. It is just fun to me to listen and contemplate all the arguments for or against. There really is nothing new under the sun. It is all just repackaged and resold as the latest greatest. I think the Ackley is more efficient a case as well in the same way the 284 is, but that is all debatable. 🤔 It is all interesting to me to see how different shooters approach the same issues. Fun stuff!

I just started what I think is a fun discussion. Rifles are really built for a specific use and can be configured however the shooter wants it. No two are alike. Two rifles in the same caliber can shoot the same load 50 fps faster or slower than one another. It is interesting to me. I am a shooter not a collector. I don't care what a rifle looks like. Does it shoot. I am also a little old school. I could have asked the same question about the 6.5x284 Norma (which is what I shoot and have for over 20 years) vs the 6.5 PRC but that topic has been exhausted already. The 7PRC is just new. For me you don't gain enough over the AI and you have better brass choices with the AI at this point. But that could change. Not having to change the bolt is also an advantage on a switch barrel gun. It is just fun to me to listen and contemplate all the arguments for or against. There really is nothing new under the sun. It is all just repackaged and resold as the latest greatest. I think the Ackley is more efficient a case as well in the same way the 284 is, but that is all debatable. 🤔 It is all interesting to me to see how different shooters approach the same issues. Fun stuff!
Agreed. I too shoot the 6.5-284 and wouldn't trade it for the 6.5 PRC for anything. Same with my 260 and 284. They fit my personal requirement and do everything the new kids on the block can do. They'll be in my safe as long as I'm alive.

You guys have tweaked my interest in purchasing my next gun. The 7mm PRC looks like a great choice.
Being from Canada I have not seen this cartridge in action yet. What are the odds that it will be available for the next 2 decades? Will factory ammo be as available as the 300 WSM? What twist works best for this cartridge? Is the 30 PRC more readily available than the 7 mmPRC?
I need to stop reading these threads. Too many wants.

You guys have tweaked my interest in purchasing my next gun. The 7mm PRC looks like a great choice.
Being from Canada I have not seen this cartridge in action yet. What are the odds that it will be available for the next 2 decades? Will factory ammo be as available as the 300 WSM? What twist works best for this cartridge? Is the 30 PRC more readily available than the 7 mmPRC?
I need to stop reading these threads. Too many wants.
Let's see...My crystal ball says !!! If we only had that knowledge.

I don't think you're giving up much to the 7PRC. Since you're already shooting 280ai I'd stick with it. Some additional info. My buddy runs 280ai. He had gone to 28N, but now back to 280ai. He has killed 3 elk, one with 280ai and two w/ 28N. I've killed one Elk with 280ai (gun he loaned me). Both our 280ai kills were with 168gr B / Classic Hunter. His at 704 and mine 480. Worked well. Both his 28N kills were with 175gr B / Elite Hunter, 528 and 902. Again, great results (single shots - dead), but he preferred the energy and BC of the 175s and recoil and barrel life of the 280ai. He looked at the data and determined he could run the 175's in the 280ai over R26. He settled on a 26" Krieger 1:7t, magnum contour, w/ 60gr of R26 under a 175gr Berger EH. Nosler brass. CCI primer. He is getting 2941fps @ 30deg. AB Chart is for this load at 30deg, 7000ft in NM. 5mph 90deg wind.

Should work great. Hope this helps.

8275C326-2A34-41FD-BC0B-BF483287DBD4.jpeg24D5D009-D6A9-4B72-9773-0A63EAC33CAA.jpeg009A6831-28DE-447A-BBBE-413FBF156BA6.jpeg711CE3B4-D8C2-41ED-9D0C-315EC2FE743E.jpeg