280 AI from Dan's Custom Gun Service

MarkA

This site and it's members have been invaluable for my son and I.

My 29 year old son purchased an all factory original Remington Sendero in 25-06 that was matte black with intention for use as a good mid range whitetail gun. After several range trips and more loads than worth the effort we determined is was a pure ***. 200 yard groups of 4 + inches were normal; not to mention the poi shifts of 4 + inches as barrel heated also.

I have been a member here for several years so I came here in hopes of finding help..........after considerable lurking and several phone calls I came to know Dan Glover, owner of Dan's Custom Gun Service...........

Dan was very quick to offer suggestions to "fix" this for us and followed quickly with an estimate to rebuild. My son decided to go for it instead of selling and starting over, so shipped the rifle to DCGS in May. We decided to chamber for Nosler SAAMI 280 AI in either Kreiger or Brux barrel.

Can see the gun pics and components used here in the Gun Photos section: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/280-ai-97494/

During the process Dan (he can explain more if he wishes) ran into a chambering problem and had to replace the first barrel, so a 2nd barrel had to be found (again Brux 28" 9 twist @ no additional charge to us). After this was worked out we got the rifle back a few days ago (September).

Dan test shot this target before shipping out. Ammo was factory Nosler Trophy Grade 140 Accubond.
280AI004.jpg

When my son got it in his hands he quickly mounted back up his Sightron SIII 6x24x50 LR Dot scope and headed off to test. (Scope mounted in Leupold DD rings and bases.)

NO cleaning or breaking in has been done; no need too if it not a shooter out of the gate. Will clean / copper remove and do break in after determining what it acts like.

He bore sighted and shot 1 shot that landed 4" high and 1/2" left at 100 yards; not one for wasting time he adjusted the scope down 2 moa and moved to the 200yd target.

Here is the 1st 3 shot 200yd group son shot out of the gun, no cooling, no cleaning, just load and shoot 3 back to backs.
280AI1stGroup.jpg

As shown on the target he made another scope adjustment and shot 3 more @ 200yds back to backs (barrel getting pretty heated now).
280AI2ndGroup.jpg

Commenting that we are satisfied is an understatement.

Dan also bead blasted the barrel at no charge to us.

Many thanks to the members here and especially to Dan Glover. The forum is fortunate to have Site Sponsors like DCGS! Honest, integrable and most of all a straight up guy to talk to and deal with.

Now on to cleaning, breaking in, load development and the fun stuff.

Great story but completely worthless:D, with out pics of the rifle before and after.

Jon

Don't have "befores" but here are the "afters"

Rem action trued in SSG True Bore Align System
Brux barrel 9 twist RV contour finished at 28 inches bead blasted
Factory Rem Trigger.
H&S stock, skim bedded, just had to redo bedding from recoil lug forward
Factory bottom metal.

280AI001.jpg

280AI002.jpg

Mark, It was a pleasure working with you and your son. You were more than understanding when we had trouble with the reamer that caused the time delay. I want say who made the first reamer but Dave Kipp of PTG a sponser on this sight supplied me with the one that worked properly. That was the first time that I had purchased anything but a PTG reamer. I guess I should remember the old saying DON'T FIX WHAT AIN'T BROKE. Thanks again and let us know what load you setttle on with some pics. Dan

Ah perfect very nice choices it looks great! What does she weigh in at?
This is the son, I echo all my pops comments.

She hit the scales at 11.6 lbs. Shoots smooth as butter too, really pleasant to shoot. Gonna do some cleaning and go play some more this weekend.

A big thanks to Dan again, great work and even better customer service.

This is the son, I echo all my pops comments.

She hit the scales at 11.6 lbs. Shoots smooth as butter too, really pleasant to shoot. Gonna do some cleaning and go play some more this weekend.

A big thanks to Dan again, great work and even better customer service.
that' with that SIII mounted by the way, so true carry weight

MarkA,

I really like the specs on your 280AI. I am thinking of having Dan build me one. How is the gun shooting since breaking it in and using reloads?

MarkA,

I really like the specs on your 280AI. I am thinking of having Dan build me one. How is the gun shooting since breaking it in and using reloads?

We haven't had a chance to try reloads through it yet. Been hooked up gettin ready for muzzleloading and soon a little bow huntin. We have finished a barrel breaking in shooting the Nosler factory ammo. Gotta say I'm still really impressed with it. It keeps wanting to hang around .6 MOA with those factory loads. Through all the break in and clean vs fouled and all kinds of conditions the worst group I've shot has been 1 3/4" at 200 and that was after I had been shooting a while so much of that was the shooter!

Once season is over we'll try some handloads and see how it does past 500. Its the best shooting gun I've owned hands down. Pleasant to shoot too. Recoil is minimal.

Quick update - this season this gun was broke in right. Killed 2 does and 2 coyotes. One coyote was 220yds and trotting - made a perfect shot gun) Hoping to stretch it out more when I get the chance.

Also, made some more range sessions after working the copper out of the barrel. It's to the point it almost won't copper at all anymore.

So far it's staying around 0.65 MOA - that's still shooting the Nosler Custom factory ammo (140gr Accubond). We're fixing to start playing hand loads now, lots of fun. :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.