280 ai build

Mcarso1

I have Remington 700 280adl that I am using as donor to build 280 ai this is an older model from 1990. I want to keep it light as possible with 24" barrel with extra two inches for break. Gonna put bdl kit on it and am looking for recommendations on stock, barrel and trigger. Should I send action out to be trued at this point or roll with it factory specs? Build is for future elk hunts with backpacking in mind. How light can I make it and it still be a solid elk rifle? Would consider going 26" barrel if the extra velocity would be worth it? Thanks for help and Merry Xmas!

I have Remington 700 280adl that I am using as donor to build 280 ai this is an older model from 1990. I want to keep it light as possible with 24" barrel with extra two inches for break. Gonna put bdl kit on it and am looking for recommendations on stock, barrel and trigger. Should I send action out to be trued at this point or roll with it factory specs? Build is for future elk hunts with backpacking in mind. How light can I make it and it still be a solid elk rifle? Would consider going 26" barrel if the extra velocity would be worth it? Thanks for help and Merry Xmas!
Look into a Carbon fiber barrel.

How much do you want to spend?

True the action - putting a match grade carbon fiber barrel in a factory Rem action (un trued) is alike putting racing rims and tires on a Prius.

Proof carbon fiber barrels work REALLY well and will save 2-3 pounds.

manners CF stock at 1 pound (w/o adj check price) Is a great stock ($1,000) ....

don't forget weight of your optics or Ammo. I met this long range elk hunter that had a 6.5 lbs mountain rifle with a 3 lbs vortex razor on it ... nice glass and 10 rounds I the DBM ... heavy.

FWIW the folks at Mile High shooting built a .280 AI for my father on a mausingfield action with proof CF barrel and Manners CF stock. It weighs about 7.8 lbs. It was Not cheap but works REALLY well (shoots 1/4 MOA with 168gr Accubond LR Bullets.)

Proof barrels don't save 2-3lbs... unless you're comparing a Proof to a Stainless heavy Varmint. A 24" Proof Sendero Light weighs 2lbs 14oz. A 24" Bartlein 2B standard sporter weighs 3lbs 4oz. You save less than 1/2lb with a Proof barrel compared to a sporter weight stainless barrel. You can also have a stainless barrel fluted and save 4-8oz. So there's really not a weight advantage with a Carbon barrel. Yes the Proof is stiffer and stays cooler longer for strings of shots. But for a hunting rifle, you shoot one or two times and it's over. It's not a bench rifle, especially a lightweight rifle. The Proof barrels are awesome and good barrels don't get me wrong. For me though, I'd rather use the $300-$400 savings and put that towards a carbon fiber stock.

As far as action truing goes, I have two semi custom 700 Remingtons and neither one of them has been fully blueprinted. One is a 1970s manufactured action, the other is about 6 years old. One is chambered in .284 Win/Norma the other is a .308 Norma Mag. They both shoot 3/8 MOA and both have Bartlein barrels. If you have the extra $250-350 to have the action trued, then go for it, it can't hurt. If you're on a budget, I wouldn't worry about it. I seriously doubt you'll be able to tell the difference on paper with a lightweight rifle if a blueprinted action made a difference or not.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.