.280 AI Build

Looks good I did a latter test in my 7mag I got all the parts from James minus the stock bottom metal and scope stuff. I live in the same town as him so I get the advantage of going in his shop and picking my stuff up. It's crazy how many barrels and actions he has in stock. He is a great guy.

I am hopeful that hand loads and a more stable shooting environment will shrink group sizes by at least half.

Shoudn't be a problem for you at all. These Criterion barrels from NSS are shooters. Here's my Savage 110 .280AI (Criterion 26" heavy sporter w/ match throat) and a confirmation target I shot at 200 yards before last years hunting season. The load I developed for it is on the mild side at @ 2830-2840 fps, but is consistently very accurate.
B945F5C7-ACAE-473D-8E1C-DF4DF01648CF.jpeg

A330D913-184A-4F2F-A3E3-C14B306A65D8.jpeg

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate high quality guns! :) To verify my thoughts I just pulled up the hodgdon reloading tables for 280AI and a rifle like my 7STW. Just using Retumbo and both with short 24 inch barrels the STW out paces the 280ai by @ 250 fps.

Like my buddy with a 7 mag on chrono days, he would be popping primers and I was under loading working on group sizes with different slowest powders and still exceeding his fps by a big margin.

I would rather under load and use lower pressure and or longer barrels than to run near max on a considerably smaller case.

The world is full of options! Dare to be different

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate high quality guns! :) To verify my thoughts I just pulled up the hodgdon reloading tables for 280AI and a rifle like my 7STW. Just using Retumbo and both with short 24 inch barrels the STW out paces the 280ai by @ 250 fps.

Like my buddy with a 7 mag on chrono days, he would be popping primers and I was under loading working on group sizes with different slowest powders and still exceeding his fps by a big margin.

I would rather under load and use lower pressure and or longer barrels than to run near max on a considerably smaller case.

The world is full of options! Dare to be different
Looking at the Nosler book, 160 gn, both 26" barrel, 7stw takes 13 gn more RL 22 to achieve 85 fps. Not very efficient it appears.

by your logic, why have a 7stw when there is a 28 Nosler? Am I missing something? Why would anyone ever have a 7-08, by this logic?

Looking at the Nosler book, 160 gn, both 26" barrel, 7stw takes 13 gn more RL 22 to achieve 85 fps. Not very efficient it appears.

by your logic, why have a 7stw when there is a 28 Nosler? Am I missing something? Why would anyone ever have a 7-08, by this logic?

First of all there is nothing that makes a more efficient case. Shoulder design, longer throat, fat short case..... Will make the case last longer, possibly cause less throat erosion because of the 35/40 degree shoulder angle, and the ability to hold longer heavy pills concentric to the bore for accuracy,

Second I can write reloading data to reflect any powder I want to use as the best! RL-22 is not the powder of choice for longer heaver per caliber pills. I stated Retumbo which I used a lot of in years past before RL-25/RL-26 came out. US 869 and RL-33 are better options for big capacity cases with longer barrels.

When chrono testing............ it doesn't lie......... reloading manuals do!

Jud96,

Thank you for the input and the clarification on the muzzle break/barrel length, I have been looking at CBI barrels from NSS and I like what I see. I'll have to give them a call regarding the Match designation on the chamber.
You won't go wrong with a phone call to NSS! I call them off and on just to discuss an idea, they are always willing to take the time to chat!!!! Probably the best barrels out there for the money and no long lead times, they have lots of barrels ready to ship!

Well, I still haven't been able to access the range I frequent that has a bench, I finally broke down and went to a piece of BLM land that is decently secluded and has reasonable road access. After initial sight in and cooling I fired this 5 shot group @100 yds. I was prone in dirt shooting off a bi-pod and used my jacket for a rear bag. Pretty close to 1" on the dot, I feel good about the rifles potential given factory ammo, field shooting conditions and the the monkey pulling the trigger. I was shooting Federal Premium w/ 168gr Berger hybrid hunter at an advertised velocity of 2830fps. I am hopeful that hand loads and a more stable shooting environment will shrink group sizes by at least half.

Final specs for the rifle.

Savage 110 in 280 AI
Boyds Laminate pro varmint w/ adjustable check piece
Criterion light varmint 26" w/ blended break - 8.5 twist
Rifle Basic SAV-2 trigger adjusted to 2lbs
EGW 1 piece 20 MOA pic rail
Burris extreme tactical signature rings
Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16X44, 30mm tube

Final weight is 13lbs 4oz according to my bathroom scale.
Nice job!

View attachment 152244 Here's another look at one. I built this a couple years ago with the same plan you had. Savage flat back, CBI 26" 280ai, NSS lug and nut, Boyd's Prairie Hunter with adjustable cheek piece(don't laugh at my custom rattle can paint job), Sav-1 trigger. One day I'll spruce it up with some cerekote.
Wouldn't let reply to your wtb 142 mk. Midway had some factory 2nds /blemish. I didn't see anything wrong with the ones I got $29

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.