280 AI build questions

There is a few around that are nothing more than a glorified blacksmith I do believe most are good to go and some are even better

Very interested in your results with Peterson.
Was the Nosler brass giving problems?
Last weekend I shot those loaded rounds during barrel break in. No load development was done just plug and see how they do. After cleaning and shooting the first 20 rounds I turned on the LabRadar to see if I could get some info. The wind was crazy and it was raining so I wasn't worried about the groups as much. After twelve rounds without cleaning I had an SD of 5.2 and an ES of 12. Shocked that it was so low. Look forward to seeing how this brass does after being fire formed and load development completed. Also this is the first custom barrel I have ever had that was so similar to what the book velocity showed it should be.

Last weekend I shot those loaded rounds during barrel break in. No load development was done just plug and see how they do. After cleaning and shooting the first 20 rounds I turned on the LabRadar to see if I could get some info. The wind was crazy and it was raining so I wasn't worried about the groups as much. After twelve rounds without cleaning I had an SD of 5.2 and an ES of 12. Shocked that it was so low. Look forward to seeing how this brass does after being fire formed and load development completed. Also this is the first custom barrel I have ever had that was so similar to what the book velocity showed it should be.
I got the Nosler necks turned and donut-be-gone reaming. Huge improvement, but seeing I've put 150 rounds down it chasing all these pressure issues, it certainly wasn't worth it. What a waste....
Peterson brass is next for this rifle after I get ready to toss the Nosler. I have a tight chamber so was curious as to your neck wall thickness on Peterson brass. I'm at .0125 on the Nosler to give me about .003 diameter clearance in the chamber based on spent brass as my standard.
Thanks for the update too!

I got the Nosler necks turned and donut-be-gone reaming. Huge improvement, but seeing I've put 150 rounds down it chasing all these pressure issues, it certainly wasn't worth it. What a waste....
Peterson brass is next for this rifle after I get ready to toss the Nosler. I have a tight chamber so was curious as to your neck wall thickness on Peterson brass. I'm at .0125 on the Nosler to give me about .003 diameter clearance in the chamber based on spent brass as my standard.
Thanks for the update too!
I will measure it when I get home from work, but I was thinking it was .0135.

Shot a mini OCW today (four charge weights .2 grains apart) and 56.4 of RL-23 in Peterson brass gave me the same velocity as 58.0 gr in Nosler brass (2940 fps). Going to load for seating depth next and should have a sub moa load ready for fall.

Shot a mini OCW today (four charge weights .2 grains apart) and 56.4 of RL-23 in Peterson brass gave me the same velocity as 58.0 gr in Nosler brass (2940 fps). Going to load for seating depth next and should have a sub moa load ready for fall.
What bullet are you using?

Lancetkenyon gave me the load data for the Nosler brass which was a bit faster in his 26" barrel as I'm running a 24". Nosler brass gave me fits and admittedly some of it was self inflicted but the Peterson work up has been very smooth. Probably the nicest all around brass I've worked with including Lapua.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.