280 ai build barrel contour selection

MT257

So I have a Winchester 770 that I am going to use as a donor action to build a 280ai. It started as a 30-06. I am in the process of looking for barrels. I have in the past used PacNor. I was just wondering what everyone thought the best contour would be for this build - lightweight, #1 or #2? How about barrel length? The primary use for this will be deer and elk. TIA

Used a Bartlein #3 @ 24" + brake for my son's 280 a.i. Shoots very good out to 600 yds, the farthest he's shot it.

You can flute a #3 to get very close to #2 weight and seems to shoot better at longer ranges.
Just my opinion.

If it were my decision I would use a number 3 at 24 min. and make up the weight on the stock and optics

Would the flutes have any effect other than weight savings? Would it be smart to go the #3 with and pay extra for fluting or just get a standard #2?

I have a Bartlein #3 finished at 26" and it's heavier than I anticipated. I would lean towards a #2 or #2B or a fluted #3 if I was to do it again for a lighter weight hunting rifle. The #3 and #3B are best for an all around rifle or a dedicated long range rifle that's mid weight. That's just my opinion.

Last edited:
I agree with the Brux #3. Got one on my 300 win Mag, and it's great. Actually I'm happy with all my Brux barrels. I thought Helix6 made their own blanks? Just put one on my 25-284. Still in load development but it's shooting really good with basically no copper fouling during break in.

I definitely agree with highdrum and Jud. A 3b is a pig. I had a 280ackley with a 3 bartlien at 24, it was a little bit more than I liked when finished. 2b are about perfect with mcmillan edge stocks and heavier scopes for my personal balance preferences.

Do Brux barrels projected weight on their barrels found on their web page run pretty accurate?

I definitely agree with highdrum and Jud. A 3b is a pig. I had a 280ackley with a 3 bartlien at 24, it was a little bit more than I liked when finished. 2b are about perfect with mcmillan edge stocks and heavier scopes for my personal balance preferences.

What bullets and velocity were you getting from you 24"?

Bartlien 2b if unfluted Or #3 if fluted, Or an equivalent Brux contour barrel. Enough weight to balance a rig out and hold steady. I have a Lilja #4 fluted on my rig @ 25 inches with a McMillan edge fill classic stock and Leupold VX6HD. Weight is 9lbs evan.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts