280 AI brass

Brute

What brand of brass are you fellas using to form 280 ackley? I know Nosler is producing brass for this round but I've heard some complaints as to quality and availability is spotty. Anyone used the Win. nickel plated stuff to fireform to AI? I've had good luck with Win. in other calibers but wondered about the plated brass in regards to durability and how it holds up to the fireforming process.All thoughts and opinions are welcome and appreciated, Brute.

Don't use nickle plated brass for any AI round. The nickle is very hard and can crack and cause problems when fireforming.

Winchester brass usually runs harder then Remington brass so it will take a bit more pressure with longer case life, Remington brass, being softer will not take the pressure Winchester brass will but the shoulders will form up better with less pressure as well.

Really it would be a trade off. I would not use the Nosler brass. I have not been impressed with it in several calibers I have tried it in and for the cost I can order alot more Rem or Win cases and just spend an hour on the loading bench sorting by weight to get better brass then Noslers.

Just my opinion,

Kirby Allen(50)

I have a 280 AI and tried to get the noslers 2nds brass. They were out of stock at the time so I had to get 1st quality and it is expensive. I feel like the brass is good stuff as compared to the rem. winchester brass that I also have for other calibers. I have heard that some of the calibers have better quality than others and that the 280, since nosler is making a rifle in this caliber is better than some of their other brass.

I started fire forming my 280AI brass from Remington. I have since switched to Nosler brass. I am quite happy with it.

JD338

I have been pleased with the Nosler 280AI brass also. The necks were very consistant and the weights were all but identical.

I have gotten Nosler brass in 30-06 and they were not nearly as consistant as the 280AI brass has been.

All in all, I would say that Nosler has become my favorite brass.

I also shoot the Nosler brass in 280AI... I feel it's a good value and saves me a lot of time... instead of filling cases with Bullseye and Cream-of-Wheat. Accuracy has been excellent with both unfired and fired brass using 62.5 grains of RE-22 behind a 140 Nosler BT.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.