280 AI Barrel Twist?

jpeaston

I have been contemplating a 280 AI build for a while now. I have everything mapped out, except barrel twist.
I know there are a couple of you guys with sweet shooting 280ai's and was wondering what twist you are shooting through.
I plan on a 26" barrel and am still undecided on contour because I haven't finalized my weight goal yet. I hope to utilize the 160 AB, 162 A-Max, and 168 Bergers and SMK's. Everything I have now likes RL22 and hope to stick with it but will probably give RL 17 a try.
I have done a lot of searches and there is not a whole bunch on info on the caliber, so if you guys have any proven loads post up your specifics please, and it won't hurt my feelings if this turns into the official 280 AI thread.:)

Have 2 ea. of the 280AI's in the family. Both are running 25" Kreiger barrels with a 1-10" twist. Both shoot the 168 Berger's extremely well - have not tried the AB or others. One rifle was broke in using 139 gr. plain jane Hornady interlocks while fire forming brass. Have used the 154 gr. interlock and it shoots very well. Long story short - if you see that the 168 berger's would be the heaviest bullet you will use, in my opinion the 1-10 twist works well as it will also allow the lighter bullets to stabilixe as well. If you think you'll want to move up to the 180 gr. I'd seriously consider going at least with a 1-9" twist. Be happy to add anything - just send me a PM.

I would to shoot the 180's if I can get some velocity. Anybody out there tried something like that? Any numbers?

Berger 168 VLDs are shooting very well in my 9 twist Brux barrel, which is 28" long. I've never shot the 180 VLDs but plan on a 9 twist barrel to shoot the 180 VLDs.

I push the 168 VLD from 2900 to 3030 fps with maximum loads depending on the powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.