280 AI and RE-16

LongWalker

Building a 280 AI and first priority is running the Berger 175 elite hunter with either RE-23 or RE-26. But, for whitetail and hogs in the SE if I could run a 150gr Nosier, Hornady,Sierra, etc. at 3100+/- that would be a nice option.

Alliant has standard 280 Rem data with RE-16 that with the AI kick should get me there. Sierra, Hornady and Nosier's data had RE-17 and the 4350 powders all right in the wheelhouse of RE-16. The reason I ask is I run RE-16 for my 6.5 Creedmoor and it would be nice to use a powder I already have.

Building a 280 AI and first priority is running the Berger 175 elite hunter with either RE-23 or RE-26. But, for whitetail and hogs in the SE if I could run a 150gr Nosier, Hornady,Sierra, etc. at 3100+/- that would be a nice option.

Alliant has standard 280 Rem data with RE-16 that with the AI kick should get me there. Sierra, Hornady and Nosier's data had RE-17 and the 4350 powders all right in the wheelhouse of RE-16. The reason I ask is I run RE-16 for my 6.5 Creedmoor and it would be nice to use a powder I already have.
I understand the desire to limit the number of powders you have to buy, keep, and keep straight but you'll probably be much better off with RL23 or 26 in the larger case of the 280.

My best results with the .260 surprisingly came with RL19 for whatever that's worth.

I run the 160gr Accubond in mine with RE26. Wicked combination......just something to think about.

FYI....

I'm shooting 168 VLDs with 59 grains MRP in my Custom 280AI through 24" bbl at 2996 avg fps(ES: 14). I've thought about trying RL26 but It shoots too good with MRP!

Attachments

• 2CE2D83A-78D7-4380-BFF4-AD2E307B3DD4.jpeg
    2CE2D83A-78D7-4380-BFF4-AD2E307B3DD4.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 193
FYI....

I'm shooting 168 VLDs with 59 grains MRP in my Custom 280AI through 24" bbl at 2996 avg fps(ES: 14). I've thought about trying RL26 but It shoots too good with MRP!
A few years back when my favorite powders became so hard to find I gave serious consideration to Norma powders as I could seem to find them with relative ease.

I always make a mental note when I see good reports on people's results with it in case we ever get back in that same rut again.

It is R26 for mine. I have a 22" 1-10 #4. A load of 57gr of the 26 with either 150ttsx or the long-range accubond. My scale seems light vs. my Dad's for whatever reason but this is all relative to me. I am also not trying to make this rifle what it isn't. 4831sc was almost identical groups but probably a good deal slower. Have to find a friend or get my own chrono after house is built.

A few years back when my favorite powders became so hard to find I gave serious consideration to Norma powders as I could seem to find them with relative ease.

I always make a mental note when I see good reports on people's results with it in case we ever get back in that same rut again.
To add.

I have shot a truckload of Prime Factory Ammunition over the last few years mostly in .260 Rem.

After having a long talk with the CEO among other things I learned that all of their components are NORMA and that Norma loads the ammo specifically to their specifications.

Prime is by far consistently the most accurate factory ammo I have ever shot and at least in the .260's even after a great deal of effort I have yet to find a load for any of the three rifles that shoots consistently better.

If they would only come up with a decent hunting bullet I would probably quit reloading for the .260 completely.

Norma components and powders are high on my list if I need to switch in the future.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.