280 AI and 6BR for wife build help

I did a barrel swap Savage for my wife in 280 AI. It has a 24 inch barrel, it's an 8 twist (should have been a 9 twist) that shoots the 162 ELDM at 3040 FPS. I think the barrel is an X-caliber but it could also be a Mcgowen I can't remember but I know it's a #4 Douglas contour. I have an apa micro bastard brake on it to keep it really tame. It has the accufit stock so we can adjust the LOP and cheek height. It wasn't put together with budget in mind it just happened to make the most sense at the time.

So far everyone who gets behind the gun is shocked how much they love it. It took a deer at 560(my wife's first deer) a deer at 150 and a cow elk at 460. I didn't have time to do much load development before the season but it was shooting 5 shot 3/4 inch groups, 10 shot average velocity 3040, es of 30 and SD of 10.8. So it's a good start, little development I should be able to get those numbers better. For the 280 AI try to get Peterson brass it's awesome.
I think this off-season I will try a 155 hammer hunter, just to see how they will shoot.

Now I am building my own 280 AI here are my specs.

Defiance ANTI
Preferred barrel blanks carbon 24 inch 1-9 twist threaded for a brake. I will do a titanium brake on this one.
Manners lrh stock
Hawkins bdl bottom metal
Trigger tech Diamond
Hawkins rings
look at benchmark barrels, carbon or steel

I would call Melvin Forbes and have him make you a NULA 280AI.He will stock it too her size.His rifles just plain shoot.The 6MM I would order from HS Precision.My Son has several Rifles built by them and they are made exactly to his specs and are stupid accurate.

I have a 280AI in the Kimber SubAlpine. Its 5lb 8 oz before adding anything else. I know there are mixed reviews on Kimbers but this one for me shoots really well with 160 grain accubonds at 2970 FPS. Shoots regular 1/2-5/8" groups as long as I am on top of it. For practice I shoot Speer 160 gr BTSP to the same point of impact with the same powder charge of RL 23. Wouldn't hesitate to shoot it on elk or deer either. Not shooting my 7mags much because of this rifle these days.
Forgot to add that it shoots the Winchester silver ballistic tip factory 280 Remington into 1/2" too. That chronies at 3070 FPS muzzle and is lighter recoiling than my 160 grain handloads.

5EC18AD8-171E-45FE-9EE6-00D54EBDF116.jpeg
The smith just finished a 7 SAUM for me.
5 lbs 11.5 oz:

Defiance An-Ti
Proof sendero light (22 inch, cut down to 21)
Manners Elite hunter (you could do a McMillan carbon fiber, Mesa or AG composite as well)
Trigger Tech Diamond
Hawkins bottom metal

With scope (razor LHT - lightest for the features) and rings, will be between 7 and 8 lbs, plus lightweight suppressor (nomad Ti) it will be between 8 and 8.5 lbs.

I say build up a 22 inch 280ai on an AnTi action and a sendero light proof barrel, with your preferred carbon fiber composite stock and you should be around the 6-6.5 lbs range and it will still be solid enough to shoot well to 600-700 yds

View attachment 306822The smith just finished a 7 SAUM for me.
5 lbs 11.5 oz:

Defiance An-Ti
Proof sendero light (22 inch, cut down to 21)
Manners Elite hunter (you could do a McMillan carbon fiber, Mesa or AG composite as well)
Trigger Tech Diamond
Hawkins bottom metal

With scope (razor LHT - lightest for the features) and rings, will be between 7 and 8 lbs, plus lightweight suppressor (nomad Ti) it will be between 8 and 8.5 lbs.

I say build up a 22 inch 280ai on an AnTi action and a sendero light proof barrel, with your preferred carbon fiber composite stock and you should be around the 6-6.5 lbs range and it will still be solid enough to shoot well to 600-700 yds

I like the recommendation here!! As an option the Tikka t3/t3x superlite comes in at 6lb even. My 7 mag is a superlite and with Leup vx5 2-10x it weighs 7.4 lbs with a DNZ mount. If you doing that or even a "lite" version you could always swap out with a 280AI barrel. I'm working a lw tikka build and went carbonsix barrel for a 6.5CM. Was going to buy a Springfield waypoint but then had a new 270 tikka that I bought to mar a project build out of.

I am at work now so don't have my range Log Book, but if your would like to know how it's shooting let me know and I can get some data for you. Since I am not set up for reloading the .280 AI yet (stuffs hard to get) I have been getting my ammo from Hendershot's in MD and am more than happy with it, while a little spendy.
I am curious how you like the 280 AI in the ultralite, I got my mom one in 6.5 creed but really just got it. Then my brother in law saw it and wants one in 280 AI so I will gladly take your impressions on the rifle to pass on to him.

look at benchmark barrels, carbon or steel
I planned on ordering a proof lite, preffered barrel blanks or benchmark carbon to replace the barrel once I toast this one. It will be a while though I only have 132 rounds down the barrel.

If I was trying to do a ~6lb 280ai and price was no concern; I would do a pierce Ti action, 22 or 24" fluted #2 barrel (probably Brux), aluminum bdl bottom metal, and that new peak 44 stock in raw carbon finish. I would bet recoil would be quite snappy though

For the 6BR I would give Impact Precision a shout. 737 action with 28" Bartlein, M24 contour, 1:7.5 twist, chambered by Wade Stuteville and throw it in a Foundation Centurion with Hawkins M5 bottom metal. Throw in 105 Hybrids, 30.2 grains of Varget and CCI 450s in Lapua brass and you will have a one-holer that is an absolute pleasure to shoot.

View attachment 306560
For the 6BR I would give Impact Precision a shout. 737 action with 28" Bartlein, M24 contour, 1:7.5 twist, chambered by Wade Stuteville and throw it in a Foundation Centurion with Hawkins M5 bottom metal. Throw in 105 Hybrids, 30.2 grains of Varget and CCI 450s in Lapua brass and you will have a one-holer that is an absolute pleasure to shoot.

View attachment 306560
Nice 👍 looking rifle

If I was trying to do a ~6lb 280ai and price was no concern; I would do a pierce Ti action, 22 or 24" fluted #2 barrel (probably Brux), aluminum bdl bottom metal, and that new peak 44 stock in raw carbon finish. I would bet recoil would be quite snappy though
I believe there's1 oz difference in weight between the TI action and the Defiance anti