280 AI and 6BR for wife build help

Nuclear Worker

I am going to build a 280 AI for my wife for Elk hunting and a 6BR for target shooting. Max weight on the 280AI would like to stay under 6 pds before optics. She wouldn't be shooting more than 600 yards. If I put a short barrel on it for weight an handling will I lose to much velocity for 600 yards? Thinking about 22-24". Needs a adjustable stock or a good adjustable cheek pad. Planning on a Bartlien CF barrel. And also left handed. Not sure what pills I want to put down the tube? For the 6BR again 600 yards is the longest range we have access to. For this one I was going to put the fully adjustable stock on it because there is no weight concern. Probably a Bartlein CF barrel also. Again left handed. Open for suggestions on actions, stock , trigger etc. I would like to see your buy once cry once build sheet. And a more budget friendly build sheet.

I did a barrel swap Savage for my wife in 280 AI. It has a 24 inch barrel, it's an 8 twist (should have been a 9 twist) that shoots the 162 ELDM at 3040 FPS. I think the barrel is an X-caliber but it could also be a Mcgowen I can't remember but I know it's a #4 Douglas contour. I have an apa micro bastard brake on it to keep it really tame. It has the accufit stock so we can adjust the LOP and cheek height. It wasn't put together with budget in mind it just happened to make the most sense at the time.

So far everyone who gets behind the gun is shocked how much they love it. It took a deer at 560(my wife's first deer) a deer at 150 and a cow elk at 460. I didn't have time to do much load development before the season but it was shooting 5 shot 3/4 inch groups, 10 shot average velocity 3040, es of 30 and SD of 10.8. So it's a good start, little development I should be able to get those numbers better. For the 280 AI try to get Peterson brass it's awesome.
I think this off-season I will try a 155 hammer hunter, just to see how they will shoot.

Now I am building my own 280 AI here are my specs.

Defiance ANTI
Preferred barrel blanks carbon 24 inch 1-9 twist threaded for a brake. I will do a titanium brake on this one.
Manners lrh stock
Hawkins bdl bottom metal
Trigger tech Diamond
Hawkins rings

Last edited:
For a light weight hunting gun of under 6lbs I'd probably look towards the defiance antix, lone peak razor/fuzion ti, kelbly nanook. The barrel being 22-24 wouldn't be an issue. You loose roughly 25fps per inch give or take obviously. I'd also probably aim for the 180gr bergers. I'd try to avoid adjustable cheek pieces to save weight.

As far as the 6br goes I'd ditch the carbon and load up on steel. The br cartridges are Insanely accurate so build a nice bench/target gun. Heavy varmint, mtu, heavy palma style barrels. As far as action goes once again I'd recommend impact 737, terminus Zeus for a prs style, or kelbly, Borden, or bat for f-class. Stock id go manners prs-tcs or for a chassis I really like whiskey 3. Barrel length id run 26-28".

I've got a .280 AI with a 22" Brux, 1-9 twist.

168 VLD, RL-26, 2,875
160 Accubond, RL-26, 2,980 fps.
143 Hammer Hunter, RL-26, 3,160 fps.

Covers all my needs in a shorter tube.
How have you liked the 143 hammer?

Under 6lbs scoped is a tall order.
Her's my all carbon build
Defiance anti XM
Proof 26" carbon sendero lite
AG privateer stock
Proof sunny hill bottom metal
Talley rings
Huskema 26oz scope.
8.2 lbs
Probably 9 lbs with Atlas bipod
I personally wouldn't want anything lighter to shoot accurately.

I built a 7 saum with .195 fb for heavy vlds on a Defiance an-ti long action with an AG stock and sporter weight CF barrel from APR. It weighs 6.25 pounds empty.

This build would suit your needs and the saum is nearly a balastic twin of the 280ai. I picked the saum as I felt the thin CF barrel would have a narrow node and the saum is widely known to be easy to tune.

I've made two trips to the range and have 4 groups at 300 yards all under 1.75 with 2 of them at 1.25. All same poi as well which is great.

Shots 7-9 fell into the. 3s at 100 during initial zeroing. The 180s at .010 and .020 shot equally well and are running 2750 from a 21 inch barrel. No pressure signs but it's at 100% capacity with H1k and 210m's.

20211022_171332.jpg
20211022_162647.jpg

Attachments

• 20211022_171332.jpg
    20211022_171332.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Proof sendero lite 22" barrel chambered 2lbs 8 oz give or take.
Defiance anti LA 1lb 6 oz
AG privateer stock 1 lb 6 ozs
Leupy scope 1lb 6oz
6lbs 6ozs no bottom metal, rings or bases if choosen.chosen.
The 280AI is a fine cartridge dont try to compromise a lb for accuracy and I would certainly think about a brake if its for your wife last thing you wanna do is get her recoil shy, the lighter you go more recoil.

Under 6lbs scoped is a tall order.
Her's my all carbon build
Defiance anti XM
Proof 26" carbon sendero lite
AG privateer stock
Proof sunny hill bottom metal
Talley rings
Huskema 26oz scope.
8.2 lbs
Probably 9 lbs with Atlas bipod
I personally wouldn't want anything lighter to shoot accurately.
I said under 6 ponds before scope.

For the 6BR I would give Impact Precision a shout. 737 action with 28" Bartlein, M24 contour, 1:7.5 twist, chambered by Wade Stuteville and throw it in a Foundation Centurion with Hawkins M5 bottom metal. Throw in 105 Hybrids, 30.2 grains of Varget and CCI 450s in Lapua brass and you will have a one-holer that is an absolute pleasure to shoot.

IMG_1787.jpeg

Last edited: