280 AI and 6BR for wife build help

I do not think shooting a capable elk round in a 6lb sounds like a lot of fun. Practice is important. I'd build a switch barrel set up where you can add weight or something with very similar ergonomics so the practice is effective.

I'd ditch the 280ai in favor of a short action cartridge. It will save a few ozs and there are more leftie options in short actions. Plus it would make a switch barrel option easier for the 6mm practice round.

I am going to build a 280 AI for my wife for Elk hunting and a 6BR for target shooting. Max weight on the 280AI would like to stay under 6 pds before optics. She wouldn't be shooting more than 600 yards. If I put a short barrel on it for weight an handling will I lose to much velocity for 600 yards? Thinking about 22-24". Needs a adjustable stock or a good adjustable cheek pad. Planning on a Bartlien CF barrel. And also left handed. Not sure what pills I want to put down the tube? For the 6BR again 600 yards is the longest range we have access to. For this one I was going to put the fully adjustable stock on it because there is no weight concern. Probably a Bartlein CF barrel also. Again left handed. Open for suggestions on actions, stock , trigger etc. I would like to see your buy once cry once build sheet. And a more budget friendly build sheet.
My wife's 280AI setup is as follows;
Weatherby MKV LA
McGowen #5, 24" 8.5 twist, 8 flutes Vais brake
Medalist stock
Leupold MK 4.5-14x44 TMR
Nosler brass
CCI BR2
R22 56.7gr,
162 ELDX @ 2956fps
Her favorite 🤩

A 1-9 Twist easily stabilizes the 180 grain Berger Hybrid at a grand and past that in a 284 Winchester (less capacity than a 280AI).
I run 9T in many 7mm's with 180 class bullets on down with absolutely no problem.
This is a 600 yard max set-up as well.

Accurate Shooter ran an article several years ago on velocity losses per inch of barrel cut off from a 30 incher if I recall. Surprisingly the 6mm lost only something like 15 fps per inch down to 22"… I could be off a bit, but it was WAY less than conventional wisdom dictated.

No need to go anything faster than a 9 twist.
Short actions and heavy bullets do not make a very good combo.

Anti or AntiX or a Kratos lite
The adjustable stock hardware can be heavy, lots of good stock suggestions above but perhaps having it fit properly.

Bartlien CFW is a killer barrel but heavier than the Proof CF. And 8.5 twist is fine for 180's at sea level and 30 degrees. Most

Just a few thoughts as I read through the thread.

Why go 8.5 with a 180, sea-level in a 9 at 2900 the S.G is 1.53 at 3,000 elevation its 1.7.
If you ever decide to run lighter bullets then your spinning the crap out of them.

Last edited:
I have a 280AI in the Kimber SubAlpine. Its 5lb 8 oz before adding anything else. I know there are mixed reviews on Kimbers but this one for me shoots really well with 160 grain accubonds at 2970 FPS. Shoots regular 1/2-5/8" groups as long as I am on top of it. For practice I shoot Speer 160 gr BTSP to the same point of impact with the same powder charge of RL 23. Wouldn't hesitate to shoot it on elk or deer either. Not shooting my 7mags much because of this rifle these days.

More of a hunter, but since Covid gotten more into long range shooting (up to 1,000 yards). I started with an out of the box Savage 110 ULTRALITE .280 ACKLEY IMP. 22" PROOF Carbon-Fiber Barrel ($1,249 about a year ago - to my door). Since this photo have modified it "moderately" including a MAC's Gunsworks brake.
I am at work now so don't have my range Log Book, but if your would like to know how it's shooting let me know and I can get some data for you. Since I am not set up for reloading the .280 AI yet (stuffs hard to get) I have been getting my ammo from Hendershot's in MD and am more than happy with it, while a little spendy.

Attachments

• 20210719_182819.jpg
    20210719_182819.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 92
Last spring, I built a left handed bolt 6BR after getting fed up of only having a choice
of 243 or 30-06 left handed base model bolt guns in the store (if they had any at all). I finally enjoy shooting a bolt action.

My 6BR build -
Bighorn TL3 SA
~7 lbs? PVA/Rock Creek 26" steel M24 profile
TriggerTech Diamond flat trigger
5.4 lbs - Magpul Pro 700 folding stock (works for both left and right hand)
MPA magazine with 6BR Kit and 4 Round Extension
Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56
Magpul bipod
Weight = pretty heavy but with the Jetblast muzzle brake, recoils almost like a 22LR
29.7gr Varget pushing Sierra MK 107 from Peterson brass lit by a CCI 450 primer at 2783fps - inexpensive & accurate.

I am in the process of reusing the action, trigger and scope for a 6.5PRC build.
The TL3 I just need to replace the bolt head with magnum head
~32 oz - AG Composite Alpine Hunter OR Manners EH6
6 oz - Hawkins bottom metal - DBM
28 oz - TL3 action
72 oz - Preferred Barrel - 24" light palma barrel
31 oz - Vortex strike Eagle 6-24x56
Total ~ 168 oz = 10.5 lbs

Hopefully, some 6.5PRC brass will become available in the next few months.
If I like the 6.5PRC, I'll cut the weight for hunting and possibly treat myself to a new scope
Cut weight
Proof carbon barrel 24" Sendero - 3lbs 2oz = 50 oz - save 22 oz
Total ~ 146oz = 9.125 lbs
Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 - 28oz - save 3oz
Total ~ 143 oz ~9 lbs

As far as the 6 BR goes, mine is a lefty.Barnard P actionLH,Robertson H&H stock LH and Trueflight barrel.
107gn Sierra with 30gns TAC will take your eye out at 600
and with 32.2gns Vit N540 with the same bullet will do the same at 1000yds.6BR you will love it,I do.

Recent Posts