280 Ackley

Fuzzer

I am building a 280 Ackley Improved. Looking for load data for the 150g Swift Scirocco. Building for big deer through elk/caribou. Any suggestions.

Jake, For years I shot 140g Ballistic tips
with 64g of H4831.MV of 3150 out of a 24 inch barrel. If you back off some this powder should work fine for the 150g.Also shot 120g BTs with 63.5 of N204 for a MV of 3400.I love the 280 Ackley improved.
dave

Dave,
Do you knowe of some place where I can find a variety of load info for Ackley Improved cartridges? I am also thinking of having my 25-06 Ackleyed as well. Still wondering. I have Ackley's shooting book, but its pretty limited. Any advice would be appreciated. JS

Jake,I believe the last Nosler reloading book has all kinds of data for different weights of bullets for the 280 AI.I would not use the reloading data from Ackleys books,you'll end up killing yourself. I tried for years to beat the performance of the 140g ballistic tip and never could.Please keep in mind this was to 400-450 yards.The BT outshot everything I tried against it out to these distances.This is good performance from a 24 tube in a gun you can carry around. My thoughs are that if you need to run a bullet more than 150g in a 7mm.
Then you need a bigger gun.(caliber)
But thats just MHO and you know what they say about them.
dave

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.