280 Ackley or something more common?

I have both the 7mm Rem Mag and the 280AI. For a non re-loader I would say buy the Rem mag if you are set on either of those calibers. the 7mm will give you better factory ammo selection and slightly (not much) cheaper. If you have a 308 Win I would look to stay with that caliber. The ammo once was plentiful and about the cheapest center fire large game ammo that could be had. A few years ago I could buy the Federal Gold Medal Match ammo for $14.00 a box of 20. Pretty hard to beat that price when it comes to Match ammo. It will take Elk out to 400yds and Deer slightly further.
Every rifle manufacturer will have several models chambered for it so you can spend as little or as much as you want.

I have both the 7mm Rem Mag and the 280AI. For a non re-loader I would say buy the Rem mag if you are set on either of those calibers. the 7mm will give you better factory ammo selection and slightly (not much) cheaper. If you have a 308 Win I would look to stay with that caliber. The ammo once was plentiful and about the cheapest center fire large game ammo that could be had. A few years ago I could buy the Federal Gold Medal Match ammo for $14.00 a box of 20. Pretty hard to beat that price when it comes to Match ammo. It will take Elk out to 400yds and Deer slightly further.
Every rifle manufacturer will have several models chambered for it so you can spend as little or as much as you want.
Thanks for your input. I'm definitely not set on anything. Just kinda of eyeing things right now. I'm not opposed to staying in the .308 either. I do love the variety of ammo choices, typically.

I mistook "Browning AB2" as Browning A-Bolt II.

I always considered Ted Williams and Western Field budget, some might consider Browning a budget rifle, I don't.

Post a picture of it, it might not be that bad.
Here's the .308 I currently have 59. It's been cleaned up a little and definitely isn't bad. Just has some wear and tear such as the pitting and probably some rust still lingering around too. And I'll post another picture in the morning of the crack in the stock area.

Attachments

• D98D1DB0-B4E1-434D-93C5-B894A5D21772.jpeg
    D98D1DB0-B4E1-434D-93C5-B894A5D21772.jpeg
    446.3 KB · Views: 179
Kenny Jarrett became famous building 280 ACKLEYS. Next to a 300 Jarrett, its still his most popular wildcat ctg. He built one for me in the early 80s that shot well. Then Nosler came out with their new Ballistic Tips in 30cal and 270cal. l got some 130grs for my 270Win and went hunting. They were Thor's Hammer. lt was Bang/Flop from then on. l never went back to my 280AI. Not even when a 7mm NBT became available. The 280 Al was a good down payment on a new 4wd Pup.

Nosler sells 280ACKLEY factory loaded ammo. Check their website. There is always the fear of having a gun without ammo. That fear is greatly amplified with a Wildcat ctg.

Kenny worked in Parker Ackley's gun shop before starting his own in 1979. Kenny has quite a bit of Ackley's personal load/gun data notes. Knowing Ackley has quite a long list of conversions l asked why there wasn't one for a 270 Win. Kenny said Ackley's 270 version offered little or no improvement over Winchesters' 270. Like a good dog, you just can't improve PERFECTION

Last edited:
I just bought some factory Nosler 280ai 160 gr.
Disappointing. I reload and have a 280ai build in work right now, so bought the factory ammo for break in. The ballistics are printed on the box. Anemic compared to my standard Rem .280 loads.
Like stated above, other than for the cool factor, If one doesn't reload I see noting to gain by going ai.
That being said, I absolutely love my 280s and will no doubt be enamored with the ai once I get it finished. It seems to be the perfect cartridge for my needs... and it is cool! 😁

Hey all,

I'm looking for some info on the price of factory loads for the 280AI. I've been eyeing the 280AI for a few weeks now. Seems to be a 1 size fits all for my needs: hunting a few times a year and shooting at the local gun club out to about 800ish yards (if my skill improves). Seems it's not very popular in my area with some factory loads still in stock (or maybe everyone reloads) but the prices are sky high right now obviously. Are they typically much lower than the current $45-$60 per box? I've found similar prices online as well so not sure if that's inflation across the board or normal? Am I better off waiting until I'm ready to dive into reloading myself for this specific cartridge?

I have a 15 yr old, beat up (wasn't taken care of in my teenage years) browning AB2 .308 Win that I like for just shooting for fun. It still shoots but I'm pretty sure the stock has a crack in it, some mild pitting from rust and would overall like something a little more rugged/durable.
My question is what exactly are you finding at $45-60 a box? Last I bought cost $72.10 per box.

My question is what exactly are you finding at $45-60 a box? Last I bought cost $72.10 per box.
Lol I didn't pay too much attention since I don't own the caliber, just noticed there were multiple boxes listed at that. With that said, I know they were Nosler and at Sportsman's Warehouse. I believe they were some I had been looking at for "good" elk rounds but don't quote me on that. I'm actually stopping by today so I may be able to give you more precise info in a few hours.

7RM was my first stop but it seems like everyone tries to talk me out of it because of recoil. I've never shot it, so I have no experience with it's recoil to have my own opinion. However, I'm a a bigger guy, 6'2" 215lbs so I'm not sure the recoil would be as big of a problem as people say it is.
7RM was my first stop but it seems like everyone tries to talk me out of it because of recoil. I've never shot it, so I have no experience with it's recoil to have my own opinion. However, I'm a a bigger guy, 6'2" 215lbs so I'm not sure the recoil would be as big of a problem as people say it is.
I have a pair of .300 win mags, and a 7mm rem mag, and the .280 Ackley. I stand 5'6" pushing 170 they are all very tolerable when using a muzzle brake. Gotta love the 7's

I have a LAW 280 AI, it shoots Nosler Trophy Grade 140 grain Accubonds and Hornady Precision 162 EXD-X's into very small groups. The Nosler factory ammo can get pricey.
I have a Law 280 AI as well and it shoots 150 barnes TTSX into one hole. Took a descent buck at 450 yards and a doe at over 500 with it this year

Hey all,

I'm looking for some info on the price of factory loads for the 280AI. I've been eyeing the 280AI for a few weeks now. Seems to be a 1 size fits all for my needs: hunting a few times a year and shooting at the local gun club out to about 800ish yards (if my skill improves). Seems it's not very popular in my area with some factory loads still in stock (or maybe everyone reloads) but the prices are sky high right now obviously. Are they typically much lower than the current $45-$60 per box? I've found similar prices online as well so not sure if that's inflation across the board or normal? Am I better off waiting until I'm ready to dive into reloading myself for this specific cartridge?

I have a 15 yr old, beat up (wasn't taken care of in my teenage years) browning AB2 .308 Win that I like for just shooting for fun. It still shoots but I'm pretty sure the stock has a crack in it, some mild pitting from rust and would overall like something a little more rugged/durable.
This is just me reading the room but the buzz behind 280AI in the last couple years has really picked up. It seems like every other day on this site someone is asking about the 280AI and another site I am on its pretty much everyday. It feels a lot like 2009-2011ish with the 6.5 Creedmoor and we know how that all turned out. I think in the next 5 years 280AI will be as common place on the shelves as 6.5CM, 308, etc. Of course, this is all obviously my opinion but to me at least the 280AI looks to be one of the next hot calibers on the market.

Reloading is fun, and I started that the age of 14 on my own. I had a little help, but did some reading and move slowly. What I purchase wasn't very accurate at the time either. I didn't blow myself up starting out. Started up grading on the fly at the same time. 59 years ago. A few pointers. No smoking around the reloading table, Only have one powder on the table that you are using. Don't MIX powders. Set a system on how you do your loading. One step at a time. Made sure you have several case trays. In powder charging your cases, move the case that's charged from the one case holder to another one so you don't double charge the cases. Made sure you are using the correct primer, and not mixing primers. Use what the reloading manual calls out for. Start off at the lower powder load and work your up to max. A couple of tenths of grain at a time. Learn to read your primers for pressure signs. There is several others that needs to be done while reloading. STAY SAFE! IT JUST WON'T BLOW UP IN YOUR FACE, UNLESS YOU GET STUPID.

This is just me reading the room but the buzz behind 280AI in the last couple years has really picked up. It seems like every other day on this site someone is asking about the 280AI and another site I am on its pretty much everyday. It feels a lot like 2009-2011ish with the 6.5 Creedmoor and we know how that all turned out. I think in the next 5 years 280AI will be as common place on the shelves as 6.5CM, 308, etc. Of course, this is all obviously my opinion but to me at least the 280AI looks to be one of the next hot calibers on the market.

I would say similar, but different. The 6.5CM was marketed very well. Certain attributes where highlighted, and shortcomings weren't mentioned. It was new, it was easy to shoot, and it had a lot of long range potential without recoil. The time was right as the magnum concept was getting a little tired, and folks were ripe to be deviated from it. The low recoil appealed to the softer generation of millennial shooters. Credit spending was at an all-time high, and social media was an explosive new platform for sleek advertising.

The 280 AI has been around for a while. It had a lot to live up to when it was introduced, and I feel like it has long lived in the shadow of the 7mmRM. But while it's a skosh slower, it really is a significantly more efficient cartridge. For reloaders, it offers a marked advantage over 280 Rem. I think now that the a large portion of the shooting public is bored again, the 280 AI is getting a spotlight for what it does well, not where it falls short compared to its big brothers like it did when Magnums were the be all end all. It's getting a spotlight it couldn't at its inception.

And lets face it, unless your a die-hard short action fan, it's superior to the 6.5CM in just about every way! ;)

Hey all,

Just checked ammoseek, and now prices are insane. A year ago it was affordable.

Reload, er, handload them.
Brass is out of stock. - Just checked everywhere.
You can get 280 brass though.

280 ammo (You can shoot this in a 280 A.I.- It will fire-form to 280 A.I.)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts