280 Ackley or something more common?

NewShooter15

Hey all,

I'm looking for some info on the price of factory loads for the 280AI. I've been eyeing the 280AI for a few weeks now. Seems to be a 1 size fits all for my needs: hunting a few times a year and shooting at the local gun club out to about 800ish yards (if my skill improves). Seems it's not very popular in my area with some factory loads still in stock (or maybe everyone reloads) but the prices are sky high right now obviously. Are they typically much lower than the current $45-$60 per box? I've found similar prices online as well so not sure if that's inflation across the board or normal? Am I better off waiting until I'm ready to dive into reloading myself for this specific cartridge?

I have a 15 yr old, beat up (wasn't taken care of in my teenage years) browning AB2 .308 Win that I like for just shooting for fun. It still shoots but I'm pretty sure the stock has a crack in it, some mild pitting from rust and would overall like something a little more rugged/durable.

Last edited:
Its a great cartridge to be sure, but its never caught on around here and if the ammo situation is the same by you, the fact that any of it is on the shelf suggests the same. Bob is right, make certain you know which chamber you have.

A good friend of mine has one and it's a pretty sweet alll around caliber I load 143 hammer for her and it shoots. After my wife builds her 28 Sherman mag it will be a carbon barreled 280 ai

You can shoot 280 ammo in a 280AI. Check this site for other threads on the correct 280 ammunition to use. It simply fireforms the brass for future reloading. Hopefully you'll find 280 ammo more available.
Oh, I didn't realize that was possible. Thanks! I'll definitely take a look around the site for more info on that as well

What game animal, and at what distances will you be hunting?
The .280AI is a great round. Near 7RM performance. Plenty for elk/moose size game and down at reasonable distances.
I know for sure I'd be hunting elk and whitetail. And I want to do more western hunts so I'd assume a range between 200-400 yards for me personally.

I reload for all my hunting rifles, but I've been buying factory ammo for the 280AI simply to increase my brass count. However, the prices are continuing to increase. Stuff I could get for $60 couple/box less than a month ago is now >$80. I wouldn't anticipate paying for anything decent below $60/box in the next several years. With that said, I still think your choice of 280 AI is correct. ;) Last day of the season this past year, I put down an enormous whitetail doe at 348 yards (personal best, I'm a newbie too!). She took 2 steps and rolled down the hill. It felt effortless!

Honestly I get the sex appeal of the 280 AI, however if it was me no doubt I'd be in 7 RM mode.

Life is basically easy, people choose to make it tougher:)
7RM was my first stop but it seems like everyone tries to talk me out of it because of recoil. I've never shot it, so I have no experience with it's recoil to have my own opinion. However, I'm a a bigger guy, 6'2" 215lbs so I'm not sure the recoil would be as big of a problem as people say it is.

I reload for all my hunting rifles, but I've been buying factory ammo for the 280AI simply to increase my brass count. However, the prices are continuing to increase. Stuff I could get for $60 couple/box less than a month ago is now >$80. I wouldn't anticipate paying for anything decent below $60/box in the next several years. With that said, I still think your choice of 280 AI is correct. ;) Last day of the season this past year, I put down an enormous whitetail doe at 348 yards (personal best, I'm a newbie too!). She took 2 steps and rolled down the hill. It felt effortless!
How long have you been reloading/was it difficult to get started with it? I don't really wanna sink a few $100 into something I'll never get any good use out of lol but at $60-$80 per box it sounds like it might be more beneficial to just drop $100's into reloading equipment.

IMO re-barreling a .473" bolt action would be a main reason for 280 (AI), but if your buying a new rifle and shooting shelf ammo, I would consider something more common like a 7MM Mag assuming you want that level of energy.

For hunting a few times a year and steel @ 800 yds I would give the .308 a re-work.

IMO re-barreling a .473" bolt action would be a main reason for 280 (AI), but if your buying a new rifle and shooting shelf ammo, I would consider something more common like a 7MM Mag assuming you want that level of energy.

For hunting a few times a year and steel @ 800 yds I would give the .308 a re-work.
I've considered the re-work of the .308 as well but wasn't sure as a "budget" type rifle it was worth it to invest the money into it. Not sure how that all works quite yet.

I mistook "Browning AB2" as Browning A-Bolt II.

I always considered Ted Williams and Western Field budget, some might consider Browning a budget rifle, I don't.

Post a picture of it, it might not be that bad.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.